RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soft dash LSE now has a cracked exhaust manifold. What are my options with regards to replacement? Are there any more modern alternatives such as from a discovery or P38? (its the 4.2 V8)

·
Registered
318 Posts
p38a chassis is wider to so the tublar ones are different disco one and two manifolds will fit as they are still cast iron jobs same as the lse or classic

·
Registered
300 Posts
Roo said:
My soft dash LSE now has a cracked exhaust manifold. What are my options with regards to replacement? Are there any more modern alternatives such as from a discovery or P38? (its the 4.2 V8)
Stainless Steel ones? :think:

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
classicjack said:
what causes an exhaust manifold to crack ?
Casting flaw or over torque on the bolts are the most likely. With either of these a loose or busted hanger allowing the exhaust to flex too much at the manifold lets loose. Overheating can magnify a flaw as well. My favorite is a buddy who hosed his engine off after a long run. The cold hose water hitting the hot manifold and snapped it. When it let loose it sounded like a gun shot. :shock: However that was a Toyota so it was no big loss. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Job done... for now.

Manifolds off, one cracked, the other ne had never been off i don't think. That one had virtually no gaskets left. Both of the manifolds had corroded gasket faces, helping the leaks find a way out so I filed these back to flat. I also welded up the cracked manifold. It will do for now. Maybe sometime after Christmas it will get some stainless ones! The (viewed from front) right manifold was easy, only took around an hour including the welding but the other side was a right pain. No access, sheared studs, shaved knuckles and the odd bit of swearing. It does sound loads better though so once again, the Range Rover is forgiven for being so awkward!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nice work :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts