RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been mulling this over literally for years...
LS1/4L80E or 4L60E into a P38.
The engine wiring doesnt concern me one bit, as neither does the transmission wiring and associated ecm.
Transfer case would be a part time affair, with a 2wd setting allowing for more mpg's etc. An Atlas would be nice, but $$$$$ and not needed in the P IMHO.
Fueling, cooling and exhaust work do not concern me, as I have done a few of the Chevy swaps already and always figured that out with less room to work with than the P38 has. :wink:
I could do a bare bones swap no problem, but the issues I am having is with the good old BECM. :think: I would still want the cruise to work (not a major leap as I could use the Chevy ecm for that), power windows, locks and so on.
I am needing input as to what the BECM HAS to have from the Engine. Speed sensors can be adapted, so that is also not a major headache.
I know this has been batted around before, but I am trying to get input from the experts. I can probably get a P38 with a blown motor etc cheap, expecially as no doubt a few died as a result from our fearless leaders CFC scam.
thoughts from the wiring guru's?

Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm with ya man... getting the engine/tranny working is the easy part. Getting everything else on the chassis to work is another. The good news is that it has been done with the callaway or whichever one had the vette' engine in it, so it's obviously doable.

One of us is going to have to take a leap and figure out how to do it, because a P38 with 350+ hp and 400+ ft/lbs would be bad ayasssss!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I have it on good authority (I've not tried it...) that you can use the chevy ECM and piggyback the rover ECU, just needs the intake air temp, throttle position, crank position, and water temp inputs.....

My main concern is with the center output t case, a new fuel tank would be needed.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how they piggy back the ecm? The BECM or the engine ecm on the Rover?
If all it needs are inputs, there are normally spare ports on the Chevy engines to run 2 different temp sensors etc (done that before for stock Jeep gauges to work etc).
How much can the rear axle handle? If possible it would be good (less work) to keep it. A double cv drive shaft will cure that issue.
I will have a look under mine when I get a chance regards fuel tank etc, although the BW is a monster size wise! Maybe it would be Atlas time? Although another $2.5k will be hard to swallow IMHO. I would also think that the 241C would be smaller in size. Hell a 231c hd would last with the right driver :thumb:

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have the Borg Warner in the P38, not the LT transfer cases.
I have done my share of swaps, and have yet to use any adapters :thumb: There will be no difference in the rover experience" at all due to the transfer case. If needed, you can always use a full time/part time 4wd case.

Martin

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
shupack said:
My main concern is with the center output t case, a new fuel tank would be needed.

I was figuring on keeping the stock time-bomb of a transfer case. There has to be somebody out there who can beef it up a bit. With the modern LS1's torque limiting feature on upshifts, it might actually be okay. :think:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never been inside the BW transfer case, but I have had loads of other chain driven cases apart. A thicker chain may be all that's needed?
Hell, I'd get a fuel cell in the spare tire compartment before I let that dictate a swap or not... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I would like a trans/t-case adapter... and maybe a engine mount also.

176k miles and ticking...at every start up.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can make the motor mounts without an issue.
Will look into the electrical side first, before getting into adapters etc! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I have a $50 donation to whomever gets it up and running 100% first.

.... and takes detailed, step by step pictures with instructions.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, my first swap thread on JF is 26 pages long, with plenty of foto's! So no fear of not having a detailed write up.
I guess me and Dennis need to sort the logistics out and go from there. He is home all the time and has the donor P38.....

Martin

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Get with allyv8 also. He knows his way around the engine and electronics on the Rovers.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
kmagnuss said:

x100 and the effort is worth the prize

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
shupack said:
kmagnuss said:

x100 and the effort is worth the prize

So that's $50 from me, and $5000 from Dennis. Anyone else? :lol:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep it up and I will just scrap our current P38 to use as the guiney pig..... :lol:
I doubt I could get $5k for her these days.....

Martin

1 - 20 of 96 Posts