RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mail from LR today which included the line " this year's launch of the new small Range Rover based on the LRX concept."

So its official, just in case you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm always wary of those articles that quote "sources" and use words such as "likely".

I'm quite surprised at the idea of two wheel drive rather than the fuel-saving electric drive rear axle that LR themselves were talking about two years ago.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They're not the only magazine reporting it. :(

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Why di I feel a Range Rover Defender and Range Rover LR4 coming? People already confuse Land Rover and Range Rover. Why not drop the Land Rover name all together and badge all the yuppie crap Range Rover? :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laurie - Journalists tend to be a lazy bunch who'll print any old pish in the hope of selling a few more copies.

Do you remember the Jaguar F-type?
Of course you don't, they haven't built it yet.

But for the past 25 or so years the motoring press have been telling us its but a hop, skip and a jump away from production.

Here's an article from 1988
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-3873585.html
Likely to be called the "F-Type," the car might debut in the early 1990s
And in 2001 PR Newswire said
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-68737062.html
The Jaguar F-TYPE roadster has been given the production go-ahead
However the JEC have since revealed that
http://www.jaguar-enthusiasts.org.uk/jaguar-f-type.html
on the 4th January 2001, Jaguar announced that the F-Type had been given the production go-ahead. Sadly, on May 17th 2002, the decision was reversed
In March 2008, The Motor Report said
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/4014/j ... -tata-boss
The Jaguar F-Type will be a smaller, light-weight sportscar that would be a direct competitor to Porsches 911 and likely based upon the E-Type inspired F-Type concept
Under the headline
Jaguar F-Type production hinted at by Tata boss
Then in May 2008 Auto Express said
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... ftype.html
British firm set to build cut-price Ferrari California.
They seem rather sure and showed this "photo", crediting it to "Larson"

However, on the same day TMR were hedging their bets.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/4670/j ... ch-in-2012
Jaguar F-Type to be based on XF platform, launch in 2012?
In an article which basically states that nothing is for certain but Road and Track magazine have made some guesses.
Auto Express's "photo" has now become an R&T "rendering".

Hold the front page folks!
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new ... he-140809/
The new Jag XE is revealed in full in the latest September 2009 issue of CAR Magazine
I'm sure Jaguar will be happy about CAR detailing their future model in their magazine three years prior to its launch...
It now looks like this, btw

All that was just from a few minutes googling, I couldn't find the CAR/Hans Leman spyshots that I saw in the 80s.
You can find the story of that F-type at AR Online.
http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?xj42devf.htm

I'm going to wait until Range Rover LRX is officially released rather than taking the press at face value...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I rather hope you're right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's Official.....

Gaydon, Warwickshire, 17 May 2010 – Land Rover has announced that it will introduce a 2WD option (in addition to the 4WD derivative) for the new compact Range Rover. On sale in 2011, the 2WD vehicle will emit less than 130 g/km of CO2 – making it the lightest, most fuel efficient Range Rover ever.

JaguarLandRover has committed to investing £800 million in developing environmental technologies and remains committed to developing vehicles with sustainable features which respond to customer demand.

Phil Popham, Land Rover managing director said: "Land Rover has announced that the all-new compact Range Rover will be available in 2WD. This is good news for the company and for our customers. A 2WD option is just one way in which we are developing our vehicles efficiency whilst adding to the Land Rover range and expanding our customer base. We will continue to make the 'world's finest all-terrain vehicles' for those customers who require 4WD but will also now offer an alternative to those that don't."

As part of the introduction of 2WD, Land Rover will be focussing on three main areas of technology to reduce the weight of Land Rover vehicles, reduce parasitic losses and increase powertrain efficiency. The use of hybrid technology is also part of the significant developments for the larger vehicles in the range. The first diesel hybrid will be available in 2012 and on the road in 2013.

By the end of 2010 Land Rover will be testing the first diesel hybrid prototype called the 'range_e' which is being developed using a Range Rover Sport platform. Tests of this vehicle will use the existing 3.0 litre TDV6 diesel engine featuring a ZF 8-speed automatic transmission. The goal is to achieve a range of 20 miles using electric power only emitting less than 100 g/km of CO2 emissions and to achieve a top speed of around 120 mph.

Land Rover has over 60 years of experience developing supremely capable vehicles with pioneering technology such as Terrain Response. Land Rover sells its vehicles in over 160 countries world-wide and is constantly looking at the market place and developing vehicles that customers in all these markets want to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The beginning of the end.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you the kind of hip modern individual that would be interested in the new Range Rover LRX?
Not really sure about the environmental impact*?
Then how about a two wheel drive Range Rover LRX?

Sound good doesn't it?

If so then how about these products

Rolex Divers Chronograph. Lo-cal Lite.
With chinese made quartz movement. Water resistant to 50mm/2".

Ferrari Idaho.
With new two cylinder Kubota diesel engine.
Top speed 46mph, 0-46mph in... about a week.
Just the thing to go with that Ferrari/burberry shirt you bought down the market!

You might not do it often, maybe never, but you bought it because it can.

So enjoy your 2 wheel drive Range Rover, your crappy Rolex and your lawnmower-engined ferrari....

*Then you'll get a shock when you realise how much climate change there was prior to the industrial revolution!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
How can they cheapen the Range Rover badge anymore??

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
At least they havn't gone the battery route. I can't understand why LR didn't go for a selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive system, just like the Series locking wheel hub system... :think:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Still not worried about it.
How can selling more models be the beginning of the end?
All they are trying to do is improve their sales numbers, which makes sense to me.
Will they stop making true 4wd's? I doubt it myself.
Did they do a little homework and actually see how many folks use the true 4wd? I bet they have an idea that probably under 10% actually do. :think:
Improving sales numbers and having a couple of models supporting the true models they want to make is perfect sense, as well as a proven strategy. Jeep are doing it, and indeed have been doing it, for years. Never stopped them making the Rubicon, or offering every model with a true 4wd low transfer case did it? :thumb:
If them making a few tree hugging models keeps them in business, I don't have an issue with it.
Sorry, but I dont immediately jump on the "Oh God its all going to end next month" boat. :lol:

Martin

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
385 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Still not worried about it.
How can selling more models be the beginning of the end?
All they are trying to do is improve their sales numbers, which makes sense to me.
Will they stop making true 4wd's? I doubt it myself.
Did they do a little homework and actually see how many folks use the true 4wd? I bet they have an idea that probably under 10% actually do. :think:
Improving sales numbers and having a couple of models supporting the true models they want to make is perfect sense, as well as a proven strategy. Jeep are doing it, and indeed have been doing it, for years. Never stopped them making the Rubicon, or offering every model with a true 4wd low transfer case did it? :thumb:
If them making a few tree hugging models keeps them in business, I don't have an issue with it.
Sorry, but I dont immediately jump on the "Oh God its all going to end next month" boat. :lol:

Martin
Agree :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In principle its a great idea.

However the concern is that everyone will end up thinking that Land Rovers are all 2wd mall crawlers.

Because none of us have ever met anyone who thought our car was a Jeep, that they didn't make any Defenders any more, that they still had leaf springs, that all Land Rovers break down all the time, that their grandad drove one during the war...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
In principle its a great idea.

However the concern is that everyone will end up thinking that Land Rovers are all 2wd mall crawlers.
Not concerned what everyone else thinks neither myself....
I am 99% sure that the true enthusiasts will know the difference between the 2wd eco box and a true 4wd rig. Just like they do with the Toyota's, Jeeps, and so on. I am pretty sure that every manufacturer makes a watered down rig that only bears a passing resemblance to the true 4wd's they make. As I said, I have no concerns over it, and seriously doubt LR will stop making true 4wd's. If I were in business, I can assure you that I would grab every market share I could. And if that meant me doing things a little different to accommodate the tree hugging wannabee's, fine by me. Their money is just as good as anyone else's, and that would help fund the rigs I was making initially :thumb:

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a reputation thing.
The people who buy LRs new buy because they can go so far off-road even of they don't take them far.

I hope you are right in that this does no harm to LR's reputation, I hope that in five years time those know-it-alls spouting "land rovers are all pretenders, they're 2wd you know", won't put anybody off from visiting a showroom...

I've met plenty of intelligent, rational people who don't know much about a subject accepting some absolute crap as fact because they don't know any better.
And most people aren't car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
385 Posts
Well Tim, probably Rover cars owners complained and forecasted doom in 1948 about the company going "agricultural", probably LR owners complained forecasted doom about LR going lux with the Range Rover in 1970, as probably RR owners complained forecasted doom about it going electronics, and some still complain forecast doom about the RRS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the 4 wheel drive version will cost from £35,000 and the 2 wheel drive £5,000 less how do you work that one out when its supposed to be smaller than the freelander 2 :? :? :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts