RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here! I own a highly modified Defender and love wheeling it. But now I am in the market for another Rover. If you had to buy either of the 3 new style models being the LR3, RR, or RRS which would you tell someone to get if they wanted a nice reliable truck to do some wheeling with?

I know the RRS and LR3 have better accessories like snorkels and winch plates and skid plates, while the RR doesn't have too many of these options. RR seems to have better clearance with than both but not sure how much more would actually help? If wheel size were all the same at 19 or 18 with some "mud" terrain tire, which would you think would do better off road?

Clearance numbers are all within an inch or so of each other. Departure angles all within the same giving specs (I imagine they will just all rip off at some point!)

If I had to choose right now the LR3 with Heavy-Duty option would win feeling that the HD would be a big favor in off road conditions. But that being said, how much do you think it helps vs. the RR or RRS without rear locker?

I know asking you guys/girls might be a bit bias so I might post this on the DISCO3 forum too! :)

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them.
I'd get a nice clean RRClassic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
q-rover said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them.
I'd get a nice clean RRClassic.
I hear where you are coming from, but the RRC wouldn't be as nice as I would like inside and out. The Defender has this purpose and is great for what it does.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I'd say full size, but I'm biased (I'm on #3 now, maybe #4 coming soon...) and I've wheeled all 3 (the newest one is still stock, but not for long).

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The Discovery3 is actually very nice to drive. It is completely different from the Disco2 which I always find a bit of a bus in terms of handling and performance. Depends though. If I had 4 kids and spent my time driving them around all day, the Discovery3 would be my choice. As a car for myself with the occasional family trip out, the L322. If it was just me letting off steam, then the L320. :twisted:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Comes down to usage and $$.

If $$ is no object, then get the RR with engine goodies.

Otherwise, I have an LR3 and over the last 3 years have taken it out quite a bit. Still stock otherthan slightly oversized tires, it is amazing. Puts my P38 in its place. I love my P38 off road - mainly because I do not care as much about pinstriping or rearranging my exhaust. But the design leapfrogged the P38 and is superior (sorry old RR, it is the truth).

The LR3 is well designed for off road and back on the highway. I also towed a heavy trailer through the mountains and it was perfect. Also, if you need more than 3 rear seats you have no other choice. It is treating me very well. I also think there are more toys for the LR3 (Disco3) off the shelf.

Have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts