RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Which trail type are you comfortable with, knowing there will be spotters and experienced drivers wi

• Scenic only-I want my car to come back clean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moderate only-I can't risk it

• Difficult-Bring it on. If Spiker's done it without damage I can do it!

• Total voters
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
By the way, what is ATAS?

The Yaesu ATAS-120 Active Tuning Antenna System provides HF/VHF/UHF coverage with automatic motorized tuning.

It is a type of antenna system we use for long distance communication. It is pretty interesting you can communicate within and outside North America. You will see it mounted on my RRS.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,455 Posts
Those descriptions are quite something, this is going to be some adrenalin rush...I guess like a mini-Continental divide trip! I'm sure we're going to get the best pictures LR has ever seen of RRS's in action.

Thanks JC...very cool...looking forward to seeing the Ham's in action.

:D :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Speaking of Continental Divide....you brought it up, not me.

When you boys are ready for some real manliness in country where you feel you don't seem deserving to be in it.....Our Great Divide II is Aug 19-24. Trails are fairly easy but offer some good challenges and scenery not soon forgotten.

Keep it in mind as we blaze the trail this weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe24Fh5nLu0

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry PJ for the late response. ATAS is an all mode all band antenna that you can use for VHF/UHF/HF communications. Instead of having different antennas for different bands you only use one and you dont have to keep switching antennas. HF transmissions goes a distance. For example, in communication with a station from Sydney, Australia in a middle of rush hour LA traffic makes your commute a little interesting :) You can also do satellite uplink and downlink with ISS, A051 etc.

Anyway, you are more than welcome to check it out in both of our trucks.

Pokerplayer
Mike
N6MDZ

ATAS 120 on a Defender

Icom 7000 rig is what I'm using right now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Off Roving said:

When you boys are ready for some real manliness in country where you feel you don't seem deserving to be in it.....Our Great Divide II is Aug 19-24. Trails are fairly easy but offer some good challenges and scenery not soon forgotten.

Very cool video, thanks for sharing!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Great choice for a Sunday run, and it looks like the weather will be just about perfect above San Bernardino over the weekend, sunny but cool (bring a jacket if you are hanging out at night up there.) For our "out-of-towners", you will be pleased to know that trails.com rates Clarks Summit among the top five most scenic off-highway trails in Southern California, and considering two of the top five are now closed to the public, that ain't bad... :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Clarks Summit

Preview: Explore the lesser traveled back side of Bear Mountain Ski Area. The upper portion of Clarks Summit shares the same road as easier Skyline Drive. Enjoy outstanding views to the south from higher elevations. For those unaccustomed to narrow shelf roads, the descent from Clarks Summit will be exhilarating. Street-legal vehicles only, no Green Sticker vehicles. Adventure Pass required if you stop to recreate. Steep and narrow in places, especially on the descent from Clarks Summit. A couple of spots are so narrow there is barely enough room to get out of your vehicle.Full-size vehicles may get brush marks. Also, on the western portion, the soil is soft, increasing the possibility of boulders breaking loose and rolling onto the trail. You might even be forced to back up and turn around. Despite these unlikely situations, most stock 4x4 SUVs with good ground clearance and skid plates can handle the trail. Route-finding is complicated but roads are well marked. Don’t drive this trail if you are squeamish about heights.

Great Video!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Don't know if it matters Adam, but I have convinced my pal David the photographer (same guy who joined me for RR7) to come with me for our day trip on Sunday, so there will be 2 of us. See you all in Big Bear.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Welp, Paul has made it here to PHX in good shape. We've had fun talking about Rovers and were even graced by my SA who made a surprise visit.
Tomorrow AM we hit the fairways, then off to BB in an attempt to make the dinner at 6-7. Looking forward to the weekend!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like my family and I will be there Sunday morning!

Hey Umberto, did your buddy David every do anything with all those Death Valley photos? I downloaded all mine to my computer, wiped my CF cards, then experienced a fatal computer crash before I could burn any DVD's. I lost everything from that trip. I'd love to recapture that event. Since you and David were on all my runs, it would be cool to see his images.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Good to hear you and your family will join us, Nathan. I am also coming up Sunday morning with another 2 Sports (it will be hard to miss us on the highway, 2 whites and a silver, so make sure you honk if you spot us), and David will be my co-pilot again, he's still shopping around for a RRC in good conditions! :D Computers suck when they crash, don't they. I'll ask David to bring copies of the photos he took at RR7, I am pretty sure he still has them. Took a few myself... See ya Sunday.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey, Drevs, looking forward to meeting you and Paul tomorrow. Have fun chasing that little white ball around, and see you for dinner.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts