RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea if this would work? I know the vent shapes are different, but more importantly, are they the same distance from the windshield? And is the windshield angle similar on the LR3 and RRS? I only ask, because I seriously find it hard to choke down $600+ for the RRS snorkel when there are so many more aftermarket options for the LR3.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
643 Posts
My understanding is that a LR3 unit will not fit a RRS as the windscreen is slightly different.

Are you after a remote air intake (RAI) or a snorkel? The difference being a RAI is not waterproof but a snorkle is and allows fording of deep water. A RAI will leak like a seive in that circumstance as it is designed to suck in air at the top of the screen but is not waterproof.

As far as I am away only the genuine RAI will fit the RRS but if the pipe inside the fender is either replaced with a waterproof one or it is made water proof and the RAI is sealed to the air intake the genuine RAI can be converted to a snorkle.

Garry

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Never understood the need to pay big bucks for a prefabbed snorkel kit. Seems to me, if you need something like that you've crossed over into serious offroading and have now joined the "I don't give a crap what my car looks like get me through the bog" crowd and a trip to the hardware store for some plumbing pipe and a few hrs with a hacksaw will get you you what need.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
38 Posts
Hope the OP realizes that adding a snorkel doesn't stop water from getting into the cabin.. Going deep is going to trash your interior, and many electronics.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
And extending all the breathers for diffs and what not to keep that water out also.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Hope the OP realizes that adding a snorkel doesn't stop water from getting into the cabin.. Going deep is going to trash your interior, and many electronics.
Not entirely accurate here if we're talking about wading depths which are below window level. The car is sealed tight and can wade thru water up to the vent level as long as you are pushing the bow wave forward and don't suck in water into the engine without getting a drop of water into the cabin or messing with electronics. You will have to go a bit slow to ensure the fan doesn't break on water, but other than that, it's perfectly capable of deep water wading w/o issues. There are a couple of folks who have installed the RAI for the RRS and sealed around the edge with a water proof caulking...that prevents any accidental hydro locking. However...if you are truly looking at doing Camel Trophy submerging...then you're spot on. I doubt that's what the OP is looking to do however. Hacksaw and plumbing pipe....a bit too redneck Goose! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm just kidding around with the goose..`)
I'll bet that he still has his stock wheels...cause that's the way the
engineers intended the rover to be/remain..
Again - I joke I joke (and you are quick:thumb:)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hey, I do have the stock wheels. Admittedly the only 'upgrade' I've made is ss door sill protectors...and that was a big decision for me. But don't get me wrong, I DO appreciate all the hard work that goes into to modifying a RRS and making it less sellable.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hacksaw and plumbing pipe....a bit too redneck Goose!
Au contraire mon frere. I've seen some nice installs on the interweb where the guy used plumbing pipe. You can even shoot the pipe Cairns blue.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, I know it's been a while, and I appreciate all the replies.

I haven't gotten a raised intake yet, as honestly it was pretty much an aesthetic modification for me. I have other 'functional' modifications which are taking priority for me now. Roof rack, light bar, winch, and (possibly) fabbing up some rock sliders.

I live in Utah, so water is non existant! So it wasn't for fording rivers or anything, so no worries there. I wonder if it would make any improvement for dust intake over the side vent? Considering the vent is to the side, it should do pretty well on its own to keep dust out. But it was just a shot in the dark for the LR3 one - if it fit great, if not - it's not going to ruin my day. I may toy with making my own. I'm not against redneck engineering... But I'll probably wait until after a trip to Moab and other southern UT destinations to see how the dirt/dust in the air filter looks.

Thanks again.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
That's what Land Rover markets its raised air intake for (and why they call it that way, rather than a "snorkel"), as it draws air up higher than the side vent, you should end up less dust on the air filter. This can make a difference if you routinely drive in dusty conditions.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
If you install an elevated snorkel kit onto an RRS. Wouldn't you have to beef up the water proofing? I'm only going under the assumption that the RRS will only remain watertight up to the top of the wheel wells. Can you go deeper and not get any interior water damage?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts