RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last week I picked up my new RR and when doing so, was offered some Redbourne aftermarket wheels by the dealership. Here in MN it's common for folks to have both Summer and Winter sets of wheels and tires. Anyway, I told the dealer thanks, but no thanks, as I usually buy HRE wheels, because I know the quality and customer support is top notch. His response was "I've never heard of HRE, but Land Rover doesn't like to see any wheels that aren't factory or Redbourne. Unless you get them to approve it, they may not warranty the truck if it has aftermarket wheels." Of course, I was taken a back because I've never heard this before. I have to admit that this is my first RR, so maybe this is common knowledge and I'm now finding out the hard way. However, I own a lot of high end cars and trucks, and have never been told this by any dealership or manufacturer before.

I contacted HRE and was told that they've never heard this said before about LR and that maybe this was just an unenlightened dealer salesperson. Moreover, they told me that RR's have consistently been among the most common fitments they've done for years. They stated that IF there was a warranty matter of some kind, that LR would have to provide proof that the wheel was indeed the cause.

Anyone run into this before? As long as I'm using the same sizes and offset as the stock 22's, with a much higher end wheel than either the factory or Redbourne wheels, am I in good shape?

Ironically, I did some checking on Redbourne and found that they are a brand of TSW, and made up of mainly inexpensive, one-piece cast wheels marketed specifically for LR applications. The dealer's claim was that the fitment is specifically for LR. I didn't want to come across as adversarial, so I didn't tell him that there is nothing proprietary about the offset and custom wheel manufacturers make a living matching them everyday:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
No, it will not, for the most part.

Any vibration concerns, step one of any dealership will be to blame the wheels, and you will probably have to swap the factory ones back on, before they will really check anything out. Also, if the wheels were to cause any damage, due to rubbing or anything like that, it would not be covered. But HRE is completely correct, LR would need to show that the wheels were the cause of any failure, in order for it to not be covered by the warranty.

There are very few things that will cause the warranty as a whole to be voided, wheels are no where close to that list.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave...I've seen some of your other posts and am sure glad you're here. I've got a ZR1 and over on the Corvette Forum there is a member(s) that claims to be part of Chevy technical service. However, it's become a running joke, because he/she never has any real advice and always claims to be checking on things...without ever providing any answers.

Your feedback is very helpful with regard to the wheel issue. A couple of sidebar questions related to this: Could going with a wider wheel than stock (9.5") cause any major concerns? It seems that the most common fitments for 22" wheels are 10" wide. Would that little a difference be a problem?

As far as service work on the vehicle goes, I have a Bendpak lift and will probably just put the factory wheels back on before heading to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
The hubs on the new RR's is now 70mm, down from 72.5mm on the older RR's. Additionally, the offset is also different on the new RR. 47mm for new, 58mm for the old RR's... Make sure they aren't older wheels they're just trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hubs on the new RR's is now 70mm, down from 72.5mm on the older RR's. Additionally, the offset is also different on the new RR. 47mm for new, 58mm for the old RR's... Make sure they aren't older wheels they're just trying to get rid of.
Thanks...I wouldn't have known that!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
279 Posts
The only additional variable could be weight of some aftermarket wheels, especially plus sizes. But, I would be confident that an HRE weighs significantly less than an equal size TSW - stronger too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts