Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that Lucas is the manufacturer for RR pads for LR?

Also, are RR pads marked for (rotation) direction?

Just trying to decide whether to buy LR marked box, or Lucas from another supplier if actually the same thing.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

G

·
mmicha said:
Can anyone confirm that Lucas is the manufacturer for RR pads for LR?

Also, are RR pads marked for (rotation) direction?

Just trying to decide whether to buy LR marked box, or Lucas from another supplier if actually the same thing.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Not sure about the first question, I bought my brake pads from Atlantic and they are perfect!

No they were not marked for rotation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OE Pad Supplier

Hey there,

Do you happen to know who is the OE manufacturer?

I was advised by British Pacific that Lucas pads were the same as the boxed Land Rover pads and bought them. After using them, I don't find the perforemance to be the same as the previously supplied dealer pads.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

·
Registered
528 Posts
Are you trying to get your money back or something? I wouldn't fuss around with finding cheaper alternatives when it comes to braking a nearly 3-ton vehicle.

I'm expecting a full set of OEM pads on Wednesday from roverconnection. Front and rear pads, front wear sensor and shipping came to $282.56 USD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not trying to get my money back, acutally, I screwed up...

I would not have tried to save the $ 80.00 on pads if I was not assured that the Lucas pads were exactly the same as the ones in the Landrover marked boxes. I was told Lucas made them for Landrover.

I may just buy new LR boxed pads and replace to see if my noisey brakes go away. Maybe they won't anyway ;)

Michael

·
Registered
231 Posts
mmicha,

Did you machine the discs when fitting the new pads?

Also, have you run them in gently for the first 50 to 100 odd k's?

There is an inboard and outboard pad. Direction doesn't matter.

I've got some rear Genuine pads sitting in front of me. They have Textar stamped into the backing plate, manufactured in July 2006, and the box tells me they are manufactured in Germany. The friction surface feels like sandpaper, something that I have never experienced with any other pad for cars or motorbikes. This is the first set of pads that I have seen for a LR/RR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been told by the dealership and my LR mechanic that the standard practice is NOT to machine the disks. They said the disks are usually not thick enough (believable) to be resurfaced, and someone else told me the disks were coated (sounds bogus) and that was another reason.

Thanks for the heads up on Textar for the original rear pads. My guess is that LR RR has pads manufactured for them by more than one supplier, I was just trying to see who the current one may be.

I have been told that you need to change the disks every other brake job on average. I just wonder if you really have to do it EVERY time to avoid excessively noisey brakes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Find out the service limit for the discs, and then measure yours. That should tell you if they need replacing, of if they can be machined, if they need machining.

Long heavy braking can result in warped discs, although the rear discs might be imune from this problem due to the amount of work that they don't do. Warped discs usually require machining or replacing.

Sintered metal pads can wear discs such that they need machining or replacing. I'm not sure if RR's pads are sintered metal or not.

As for noisy brakes, that could possibly have something to do with the anti rattle springs. Try to blow all the brake dust out from the calipers. Make sure no dust gets in your eyes etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts