RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... thought some of you might be interested in my compressor install in an attempt to have quiet air suspension again.
Took all of 45mins.
Sorry the pics aren't great. Took them with my phone.

Cut a section out of the plastic cubby hole here

Cut the floor panel in half

Floor panel fitted

New panel ready to be covered in matching carpet

Had a few reservations about chopping up my interior. But hey it looks neat. It's quiet and I don't ever see myself removing the lpg conversion and re-installing the panels.

Also thought you might like to see whats inside my knackered compressor. Its very basic. I had the 'pressure static while filling' fault, and I'm betting it was just build up of a bit of crud around the piston ring. Or the reed valve on top of the piston is letting air past. I've cleaned it all up and will give it a try. There was a lot of dirt below the piston where the air comes in. Supprised nobody makes a seal kit for these yet.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Re: LPG air susp compressor install pics.. and inside compressor

Supprised nobody makes a seal kit for these yet. [/quote

I've been trying to get ahold of a dead one, but no joy, not sure why but nobody is willing to part with one.

If anyone has one, I'll take it. Should be only a couple weeks to sort out the kit.

Guess I'll just have to buy a Full Fat for myself...

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts

There may possibly be an upgraded aftermarket compressor available in the next 6 months or so.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I know of a couple of places that will part with a 2nd hand one for about £125 but I didn't think it was worth taking the risk that it's not totally blown to bits. I got a new one for £270.00

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

What the heck did you do here? You're cutting panel and making new ones? Why would you do that? Am I missing something? You shouldn't be able to hear the compressor if it's working properly unless you've got youre really listening for it.

You need to relocate it for the conversion? I must be missing something :think:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes you are missing a big bit of the problem with having an lpg conversion Brad. heheh. LPG tank goes where the compressor sits. So the compressor gets taken out of its nice quiet shell and stuck into the cubby hole at the side making it a lot more audiable.The compressor you can see on the boot floor in the 4th pic is how it would have been stuck in the cubby hole. So as you can imagine it's loud. I've cut parts and fabricated a new panel so that I can keep the compressor in its shell to keep it quiet. That panel on the side is normally dished in so I need to make a flat panel to house everything.
I had enough of people asking me what that loud noise was at the back of my car. You could also feel it through the car as it was no longer on spongy mounts.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts

I have a 95L donut tank instead of the sparewheel. Compressor is placed without the shell but wrapped with noise reduction mats for parquet in front of the donut. So I have to find a new place for the car jack. That´s all.
Here you can see a bit whilst I fitted the tow bar.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

Locky said:
Yes you are missing a big bit of the problem with having an lpg conversion Brad. heheh. LPG tank goes where the compressor sits. So the compressor gets taken out of its nice quiet shell and stuck into the cubby hole at the side making it a lot more audiable.The compressor you can see on the boot floor in the 4th pic is how it would have been stuck in the cubby hole. So as you can imagine it's loud. I've cut parts and fabricated a new panel so that I can keep the compressor in its shell to keep it quiet. That panel on the side is normally dished in so I need to make a flat panel to house everything.
I had enough of people asking me what that loud noise was at the back of my car. You could also feel it through the car as it was no longer on spongy mounts.
Wow learn something new everyday.. That's quite the process, good luck :thumb:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
87 Posts

Really can understand all that "hacking around" with the trim :shock:

For nearly 4 years I have very happily lived with my compressor removed from its shell and relocated above and to the right of my 95ltr tank. Secured in place on rubber fixings, wrapped in a little extra sound proofing material and then with the original lining of the shell placed over it. As for noise..... you would never know any different :dance:

Was it your installer who left the compressor in its shell in a vertical position like that :crybaby2: U-G-L-Y I'm afraid :naughty:

Andy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I just don't seem to have that space in front of my tank like you guys have. No where for the compressor to fit with the jack in place. Plus I don't think it looks nice wrapped in bits of carpet and foam.
It was me who placed the pump in that position Ajay.
I feel a bit hacked to bits on this forum in my persuit of a nice compressor install. heh :|
That plyboard is covered in matching interior felt now. Will take a pic.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

Preston-Air are about to launch a bracket kit for the earlier model L322's fitted with the LPG tanks. I had a prototype fitted to one of the L322's in the workshop and the sound difference is amazing. I'm going to put the kits on the eShop once I get that up and running in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts

Can the compressors be repaired?
Mine pumps 9,5 ps on the limit.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts

I'm working on a rebuild kit now, hope to have test items soon

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

Here is their website:

http://preston-air.com/

If you want to pre-order, contact [email protected]. They are self-install units requiring some body drilling, but should be about 1 hour for a first time install. I can fit the units at our workshop. Price isn't yet confirmed, but I expect the recommended retail price to in the region of GBP125 inc VAT.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Despite that being a nice looking piece of kit, for a bracket, 2 pieces of foam, and some hardware... That's a bungload of money :shock:

Then again, if it were OEM it would cost at least as much. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

That's the suggested RRP, Steve. Besides, after spending £2,000GBP+ for an average LPG conversion, to have to spend £100 on something to stop all that noise in the back, I'd say it was pretty reasonable. After fitting one on a test L322, it probably better than the original anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi,

Just joined as recently bought a 2006 4.4 v8 Vogue SE and had an LPG system fitted, going really well.

Does anyone have any suggestion for the compressor relocation on this model, it is much bigger on a 2006 model(Hitachi i believe), mine is in the right side of the boot and comes up throught the floor in to a box but is quite noisy.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

Hi Dan - Did you get any joy from James at Preston-Air?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Not yet, I am a bit impatient I guess!

Mailed him on Friday morning, I will follow up next week with him. I know it can be improved just want the best job possible.

Thanks

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts