RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing my timing and valvecovers. In regards to the lower cover,is it best to install the gaskets to the timing cover and bolt to the engine,or install the gaskets onto the engine then bolt on the timing cover? What is the best way to hold them in place?
Also, what is the best method to install the crank seal?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
The gaskets are best held on to the studs of the engine, use a bit of oil resistant RTV black and wait to tack up and let the metal gaskets stick on that and set on the alignment pins.

The front main seal is a PITA and that’s a kind way of putting it. Install it in the front cover so that the top of the seal is flush to the top of the cover. Start putting on the cover sloowwwwly and make sure the lip of the main seal (you’ll see what it is) is uniform and not protruding out of the engine. Keep some oil on the main shaft as well, it’ll help slide the seal on.

I went through two main seals on my first try.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Keralis's suggests are spot on. If you have some concerns do a dry run with your old oil seal to get the movements down - it is pretty straight forward - just make sure the seal lip doesn't flip.

Other option is to fashion a plastic PVC pipe or equivalent and press the seal in after the cover is installed - length and inside diameter needs to clear the crank. This is the method a shop would do if they were just replacing the seal, and Range Rover should have a special tool for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts