RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in Lower rear tailgates for the hard dash and soft dash models? I've been offered a hard dash version but have a feeling there is something about the mounting hinges?

·
Registered
232 Posts
both the same if from late vehicles, early hard dash vehicles had a different latching mechanism - think this was pre 1988 models which had the latch mounted externally.

i.e. if the latch is internal it should fit.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
I believe (but I could be wrong) that there was a difference between the high and low filler cap tailgates too. When I had a GRP one fabricated, they had two patterns, one for the high level filler cap model and one for the low level one. Don't know what the difference would be. They did not have a pattern for ones with an external latch at all

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim (Scotland) said:
Rimmer Bros seems to list 4, with everything after 1990 being identical.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009425

Why not just buy the rust free used one you've been offered and swap over your hardware?
I probably will do. Even if it turns out I can't use it, i'm sure a rust free tailgate would sell on quite easily.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Roo said:
The plot thickens!
I heard the hinges (and subsequently the mounting brackets) are age specific but its unconfirmed.
I fitted a good used lower lid on mine, the 'new' one's hinges were in a slightly different place and had to modify the holes to get it to fit :think:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adam1977 said:
Roo said:
The plot thickens!
I heard the hinges (and subsequently the mounting brackets) are age specific but its unconfirmed.
I fitted a good used lower lid on mine, the 'new' one's hinges were in a slightly different place and had to modify the holes to get it to fit :think:
Strange. Thanks for the info. I'm collecting it this weekend so we'll soon see!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The brackets for the later models are different and there are no mounting rubbers on the late ones either. As a previous poster stated you will only pick up one of the holes on each side to bolt the tailgate to the hinges.

The tailgate will fit but you should bend the two brackets mounted on the bottom of the tailgate frame inwards or the tailgate will close against these brackets and take the paint off and bend the corners of the tailgate outwards. I did not notice this until I tried to close the tailgate and caused this damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts