RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H guys

just looking for a bit of advice, I have bought a new lower steering column shaft and uj joint for my tdv8 RR sport
how big a job is it to fit and if possible does anyone know the steps to do so? I have a garage telling me it's 5 hrs work ?
Just seems like a lot to me so if I can go and see them with the procedure required to change it then maybe I can get it done more effectively ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
It's manageable enough from a mechanical standpoint. Take the fender liner out for access. I can tell you on our 2011 RRS after replacing the steering rack (which has an electrical connection/port) all HELL broke loose. Every fault in the universe popped up and the power steering seemed to be completely disabled, so I was pretty spooked. Once it came back from the dealer for an alignment and steering re-calibration, all was back to normal!

If you can swap the lower column out without disturbing the rack, you should be OK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for that info, mine is a 2009 and no electrical connection sop hopefully I should get away with the problems you experienced�� How long did it take you approx ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
it is just going to be replaced and the reason is the steering has become stiff and 'lumpy' if you know what I mean ? As you turn the wheel some places it's smooth and as it should be others it's tight and stiff then it rolls last the stiffness and it's fine again. I have ready this is a common fault with Landrovers of many types and that the replacement makes the world of difference and fixes the problem so here's hoping it does !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts