RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, great forum and loads of useful info, thanks.

I have recently bought a 2001 4.6 Vogue with known faults (bought nice and cheap and budgetted for fixing the issues myself), and have so far fixed the biggies (fitted a Turner tophat engine as it had a dropped liner on cylinder 6, replaced the heater O-rings, ABS module, centre exhaust silencer) - and I am now running it daily (still running it in) and looking at some of the more minor matters ;)

First one is the sat nav. The system is the Mk3 looking at all the reference material around. The display is the 4 buttons and knob variety. The Map disc is very recent 2009, but no Land Rover logo on the splash screen (no BMW either) - just shows the On and Off road menus and the Monitor Off option - the other Setup and Code options are greyed out.

The system seems to work ok (positioning etc), and the voice commands are given, but very quietly. I've found the Volume Control option and turned up to max, but it is still quiet when stationary, and when running, you can detect the front speakers muting correctly, but then barely hear the (male) voice.

Is there another way to increase the voice level? Is it likely to be because using different Map disc which alters the menu options? How do others set the volume on theirs and is it loud enough?

Any help appreciated. `8)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi get in touch with a guy called navtvman he,s got items under range rover sat nav seems to know his stuff on theses should be able to sort your problem. neil :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks neil, i'll get in touch with him.

Looks like I must have a unique problem as I've done lots of searching and found nothing, and see little response here so far. I was hoping it was going to a be common issue, with a common fix /:(

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi also try downloading rave from a site called green oval got all the wiring diagrams and more in there should be able to find the speaker wires and pos wire up a seperate speaker should work that way cos in the kit navtvman is selling it,s a stand alone speaker so you should be able to over come this problem neil :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
logrover said:
Looks like I must have a unique problem as I've done lots of searching and found nothing,
You don't have a unique problem, I think what you have is a Computer unit from a L322/MkIII fitted in a P38 I can't remember the numbers of the units off hand but the P38 should end something like 110 and the L322 is something like 040 or 190 as these use a different software that is the problem you have.
If you look at the plugs that go into the back of the unit there will be a Purple one with two twisted wires coming from it one Blue with a Red Trace which is the speaker positive and a Blue with a Brown trace this is the speaker negative I used a spare Mobile Phone Speaker which worked pefectly.

When I have a bit more time I will find dig out the full part numbers for the Computer Unit

Cheers

·
Registered
640 Posts
Col said:
If you look at the plugs that go into the back of the unit there will be a Purple one with two twisted wires coming from it one Blue with a Red Trace which is the speaker positive and a Blue with a Brown trace this is the speaker negative
I may have misled you on the Speaker Wire Colours as I made my own Harness and these were the colours of the wires I used, if you have a factory fit wiring harness I think the Negative will be Pin Two Yellow with Orange Trace and Positve Pin Four Orange with Yellow Trace these wires in turn go to the DSP Amp.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
col - thanks for that - very helpful.

just popped out my unit and the numbers are:

YIB50040
01-04
HW 1.2 SW 3.2
and a few other long numbers.

From what you say, looks indeed like it could be a later unit then (from Jan '04 possibly, not April '01 as i first thought).

From what you say about using an extra speaker, I assume there is not an easy way of integrating these later units into the standard radio/speaker system then?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a few emails with the helpful satnavman from ebay (thanks neil) and col was right about it being a later unit. The YIB50040 (hw 1.2) was for the L322 or Rover 75 only (whereas the YIB50040 hw 1.1 is possible fit in bmw and p38 apparently, - so different menus and low volume is a fixed "feature" of these if fitted to the p38 :( YIB000110 is the one i need to restore the original functionality.

So, I guess I can either buy a new YIB000110 (cost too much), or look at Col's suggestion of using an additional speaker and live with the different menus.

Anyone got a spare YIB000110 they want to sell (or swap for a YIB50040 ;) )

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi two guys i have dealt with recently on the bay might be able to help andy {villababe2) and vic (speedyvictor) both are breakers i,ve been to andys place in bath and he has got quite a lot of gear not all of which is on the bay .i,ll pm you andys number and try and find vics .neil :)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
975 Posts
NELLY said:
Hi get in touch with a guy called navtvman he,s got items under range rover sat nav seems to know his stuff on theses should be able to sort your problem. neil :)
Hi,

How can I contact ' navtvman'? What is his web address?

regds

kapila

·
Registered
975 Posts
NELLY said:
Hi,

How can I contact ' navtvman'? What is his web address?

regds

kapila

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi go on ebay and look under range rover sat nav he has an item on there and gives his phone number and you will also be able to pm him from there hope this helps neil

·
Registered
975 Posts
NELLY said:
hi go on ebay and look under range rover sat nav he has an item on there and gives his phone number and you will also be able to pm him from there hope this helps neil

Hi,
Thanks! :thumb: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts