RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've done a search, but didn't see a similar scenario.

Is it common for the air level in random tires to be consistently low after the car sits for a couple of days?

My car (07, HSE, stock 19" wheels), has at least one tire with decreased air each week.

During the week(Monday through Friday), the car is driven one day only and sits in my garage until the weekend. (driven as much as possible Friday night through Sunday). For the 3rd week in a row, I've received the low tire pressure warning.

Car was driven about 300 miles over the weekend. Then on Monday (about 80 miles). Car sat in the garage until Thursday evening. As soon as I put the key in, the warning came on. Checked all tires, and sure enough, the left rear tire pressure was only at 32psi.

The week before, it was the right rear tire. And before that, it was both the right front and rear.

This has happened with my other car. But only after sittng for at least a couple of weeks.

Just curious is this is something that's common. Maybe due to the weight? Seems strange to have to put in air once a week.
I'm confident it's not due to the weather considering where I live.

Thread depth for all 4 tires are good. 7/32" or greater.(this according to the dealer inspection report performed on 7/12/10)

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Are you a pretty likeable guy? I ask because we used to let air out of this guy's tires in college on a pretty random basis just because he deserved it.

Seriously, if they are low on air that often, you have a leak. Something's not right if all 4 are leaking--- I top mine off ~1x a month by 1-2 lbs at most.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gooseyloosey said:
Are you a pretty likeable guy? I ask because we used to let air out of this guy's tires in college on a pretty random basis just because he deserved it.

Seriously, if they are low on air that often, you have a leak. Something's not right if all 4 are leaking--- I top mine off ~1x a month by 1-2 lbs at most.
LOL. Maybe its' my wife sneaking in the garage and letting the air out? She says I'm paying too much attention to the car.

But yes, I think once a week is too much to have to put air in. If it happens again, I'll have to have the tires checked for a leak.
I wouldn't question it if it was occuring with the same tire each time. But it's random.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes, the 4 tires thing is weird. Try some soapy water around the TPMS valves?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...it appears the issue is a leak in one tire. Had the low tire message again. And the same tire (rear left) was at 30psi again.

Looks like I need to get that tire looked at. All other tires are ok.

Question:

Can I just take it to any tire place to see if they can repair the leak? Or should I not take any chances in some place messing up a sensor and just take it to the dealer?

2nd question:
If by some crazy reason, the tire could not be fixed and needs to be replaced. Would I have to buy 2 rear tires?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
TPMS has been mandatory for quite a while on newer cars, so any reputable independent tire shop should be equipped and experienced enough to handle sensors when dismounting or mounting tires on a rim, without breaking anything. As a precaution, make sure you mention you have TPMS sensors on your wheels to the technician before he starts working on your car. No need to be gouged by a dealer though.

Question 2: That totally depends on how worn your remaining tires are, especially on these 4x4 vehicles you always want to minimize rolling radius differences (particularly between tires on the same axle) to avoid problems and potential faults with the four-wheel drive system, transmission, etc. Land Rover doesn't state specific tolerances on the owner's manual - other manufactures do - only stating that ideally you'd want to replace tires in sets of four and, if that's not possible, you should replace them in pairs, by axle. IMHO if your remaining tires appear evenly worn and still have a good 70-80% of the original tread left, you can probably get by with replacing just the damaged rear tire without any adverse effects. If they are worn a bit unevenly but one of them is still in good conditions (most of the original tread left), move that tire to the opposite side of the rear axle (the front axle is especially sensitive to different circumference tires.) If all tires seem pretty worn (like 1/2 of their original tread left or less), in your shoes I wouldn't take a chance and replace both rear tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umbertob said:
TPMS has been mandatory for quite a while on newer cars, so any reputable independent tire shop should be equipped and experienced enough to handle sensors when dismounting or mounting tires on a rim, without breaking anything. As a precaution, make sure you mention you have TPMS sensors on your wheels to the technician before he starts working on your car. No need to be gouged by a dealer though.

Question 2: That totally depends on how worn your remaining tires are, especially on these 4x4 vehicles you always want to minimize rolling radius differences (particularly between tires on the same axle) to avoid problems and potential faults with the four-wheel drive system, transmission, etc. Land Rover doesn't state specific tolerances on the owner's manual - other manufactures do - only stating that ideally you'd want to replace tires in sets of four and, if that's not possible, you should replace them in pairs, by axle. IMHO if your remaining tires appear evenly worn and still have a good 70-80% of the original tread left, you can probably get by with replacing just the damaged rear tire without any adverse effects. If they are worn a bit unevenly but one of them is still in good conditions (most of the original tread left), move that tire to the opposite side of the rear axle (the front axle is especially sensitive to different circumference tires.) If all tires seem pretty worn (like 1/2 of their original tread left or less), in your shoes I wouldn't take a chance and replace both rear tires.

Thanks so much for the information and advice.

I'll definitely be sure to mention the TPMS to the tech.

And yes, although I'd rather only have to pay for one tire(if I end up needing to replace), I'd rather be safe and at least replace both rears.

I'll do some research and hit the search function...but any idea on what I should or may have to pay to replace 1 or 2 of these Conti's?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out I had a nail in my left rear tire.
I ended up calling the dealer. And of course they said bring it in. They claimed an independent tire place could potentially mess up the TMS.
They then told me the cost to patch it up would be $48.00.

I almost took it to them. But decided to go by the local tire place. (discount tire). They were very knowledgeable about Rovers. Told me they knew about the TPMS. And also the suspension and how to jack it up(hazards on and lift gate open).
Had to wait an hour and a half. But they dud it for free. So far so good.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dear god, you don't need to open the tailgate or the hazards. just jack the **** thing and remember not to put it on the compressor. Seen that at least ten times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just ran into that problem...my left rear tire was losing air, so finally brought it to tire place as I was totally frustrated having just bought 4 new tires from RR dealer. Well it turns out the wheel has a dent/cut in it and needs to be replaced. Tires are all fine. Too bad-the **** wheel is a custom, 22" O.Z painted to match the car (Vesuvius), and cannot get another. Had to leave that area and drive 200 miles to Vermont, neurotically checking the pressure every two hours-as if it was accurate-hardly, with the hot tires...now I am wondering what to replace all four with? I need to get the car safely home (about another 2k miles) and then sell it, so I don't want to invest 4k/wheel. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I believe there are shops that a straighten out bent wheels for a fraction of a new wheel. I had one on my car, and its all fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts