RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas why the tickover should be down to 400revs on my 4.4 BMW engined RR the motor stalls as I approach a junction (only occasionally) I had a prins gas conversion done in September and not a problem till December and then it started very occasionally cutting out as I approached juntions, it does not do it when on petrol or in manual mode or with air con on (air con raises tickover by 100/200 revs)

There are not any messages on the readout and the rest of the performance is perfect as far as I am aware on both petrol and gas. If anyone can help it would be really appreciated as it is spoiling a brilliant motor.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like it just needs a retune on the LPG side of things. Mine was like this for a while. In the end I purchased the lead and software and just did it myself.
It's a simple case of adding or subtracting a percentage of gas at idle in the map. You need an odb to read fuel trims at the same time. Any LPG prins installer will do it for a fee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get the gas trims checked but I still have only 400 revs on petrol which according to rave and local stealer is too low as it should be 600 without aircon on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This sounds just like mine, Prins system was installed in August and from about end november this has been happening to mine. local guy put it on autologic dyagnostics (similar to t4) and reset the idle speeds to see how that went, i need to go back to have them increased as it still does it.

it seems to be worse the colder it gets? :think:

it also has only happened after i filled up at a BP autogas station, maybe just coincidence? :think:

I guess you've had the experience of coasting up to a turn and the power cuts out, so no power steering, i crapped myself the first time as i didn'y know what was happening? :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CyberMrT,

Thats exactly what mine does and it is the steering that is really the problem, what are your tickover revs?

·
Registered
144 Posts
It sounds like a software issue rather than mechanical to me. Is it really running as low as 400rpm though? mine idles at 600rpm ac off. It was cutting out on lpg when coming to a stop until I re-tuned it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a photo of my idle - is this 600 or 400?

The distance between the 0 and the 1 is different that between the 1 and the 2 (more lines)? However there is 1 thick and 1 thin line in between the 0 and the 1?

[attachment=0:30ozwahk]10022010498.jpg[/attachment:30ozwahk]

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is the same indicated tickover speed as mine, it is booked in on friday for the gas settings to be checked.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
I have the LPG conversion and my revs sit at the same level, my OBD says its 600 revs. I'm only having the running problems when its really cold and just after starting, if I run on petrol for the 10 minutes when its cold and then switch over to gas its fine for the rest of the day. I have been told that the BMW engines don't like running on LPG.

Tim

·
Registered
236 Posts
Both our 02s are on LPG (BMW engines of course) and have been fine, one for 3 years the other for 2.1/2 years. I would have the system reset, the cold weather can effect the idle on lpg. Maybe your system needs the change over temparature increased slightly. Mine changes over at 20c (engine temp of course) this represents about 1/2 mile at these morning temps of +1 to -6 c. I stop at a junction 1 mile from my house and the idle is normal, ie. about 600 rpm.

Stewart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a an interesting conversation with the prins man and he told me that if the tickover goes below 500 revs the gas system will switch off and not turn the petrol on.
After checking crankcase vent system I have found the perished pipes which I am told will affect tickover so those have been replaced and I see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also replaced the pipes as i read that this could effect the idle? it didn't seem to help though?

if you connect up to a T4 or autologic box it's easy to add to the idle speed, i just haven't got round to this yet...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is not what I wanted to hear, It is only 2 days since the hoses were changed so I am still keeping my fingers crossed, it really does take the edge off a great motor with reasonable running costs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is now 2 weeks since I replaced the vent hoses and it has not cut out, once again it is a pleasure to drive `)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts