RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a squeal coming from the engine it sounds. it only occurs at low speeds and when i accelerate it goes away...would this be related to the brake pad squeals ive read about? thanks
btw, i just bought this 03 RRS

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
:think: '03 RRS?

Anyway,

If it's coming from the engine it could be belt squeal and will be present when you are still.

If it's the the brakes, they only squeal when you are moving.

If you only get a squeal when you make very sharp turns at low speeds, you may be low on power steering fluid.

If little mice-like creatures with white stripes run from the car, you have chipmunks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. its only when i am off the accelerator. the first second of any press of the gas pedal, the noise disappears. there is also a squeak when i back up and am braking light and the response has been to turn the rotors then use sand paper on the pads and round the edges.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
arnoldrover said:
thanks. its only when i am off the accelerator. the first second of any press of the gas pedal, the noise disappears. there is also a squeak when i back up and am braking light and the response has been to turn the rotors then use sand paper on the pads and round the edges.
Its likely your serpentine belt is squeaking. Mine does this occasionaly. I just leave it alone ---it goes away eventually. If it really bothers you, for a temporary fix you can spray a light coating of wd-40 on the belt while its turning.

Assuming your rear pads don't need replacing, I'd try steel wool (000 works well)to deglaze both sides of the rotor. You could try turning them, but they'll likely be too thin when you're done. The new(er) oem pad has a sticky backing tape that minimizes squeaking, and I also think the leading edge of the pad is chamfered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as a new lr owner;, thank you for your reply, it has been really helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eureka. problem solved. it was one of the belts that was lose and begun to tear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts