RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m new to this forum, as I just picked up a 2004 Range Rover, so I figured I’d get advice from some experts. I’m not much of a mechanic myself either. Anyway, when I’m driving around 30-50 mph, there is a low noise accompanied by a vibration. Then when I take my foot off the gas, or press the gas harder, the noise and vibration go away. The RPMs also drop slightly during this. Any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
400 Posts
Hello all, I’m new to this forum, as I just picked up a 2004 Range Rover, so I figured I’d get advice from some experts. I’m not much of a mechanic myself either. Anyway, when I’m driving around 30-50 mph, there is a low noise accompanied by a vibration. Then when I take my foot off the gas, or press the gas harder, the noise and vibration go away. The RPMs also drop slightly during this. Any suggestions? Thank you.
For a start, I would check transfer box oil level. This is the "wide" transmission unit attached to the rear of the "normal" automatic gearbox, with a driveshaft projecting forward towards the front axle.

There is a drain plug on the bottom and a "top-off" plug on the face of the casing.

If you remove the top-off plug, a little oil may trickle out (good!) but also means your issue is likely elsewhere and at least you know your transfer oil level is OK.

If you put your pinky in the hole and your fingertip remains dry, you may be on to something. If low, I'd drain the unit and re-fill with fresh transfer case fluid, to the top-off plug's level.

It's not cheap (so don't waste any) but neither is a replacement transfer case/box.

You'll need to acquire 2 liters to do the job and will have plenty left over.

FWIW, one of the cool things about these cars (when checking drivetrain levels etc) is that you can raise the car to a height which occasionally makes it easier to work on.

Start your car and raise it to the off-road level so it's easier to crawl under. Place a couple of shop stands under the subframe so you have "insurance" in the event an airbag deflates unexpectedly and the car lowers while you're underneath it.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a start, I would check transfer box oil level. This is the "wide" transmission unit attached to the rear of the "normal" automatic gearbox, with a driveshaft projecting forward towards the front axle.

There is a drain plug on the bottom and a "top-off" plug on the face of the casing.

If you remove the top-off plug, a little oil may trickle out (good!) but also means your issue is likely elsewhere and at least you know your transfer oil level is OK.

If you put your pinky in the hole and your fingertip remains dry, you may be on to something. If low, I'd drain the unit and re-fill with fresh transfer case fluid, to the top-off plug's level.

It's not cheap (so don't waste any) but neither is a replacement transfer case/box.

You'll need to acquire 2 liters to do the job and will have plenty left over.

FWIW, one of the cool things about these cars (when checking drivetrain levels etc) is that you can raise the car to a height which occasionally makes it easier to work on.

Start your car and raise it to the off-road level so it's easier to crawl under. Place a couple of shop stands under the subframe so you have "insurance" in the event an airbag deflates unexpectedly and the car lowers while you're underneath it.

Rob
Got under the car and removed top-off plug today and oil trickled out, so that doesn’t seem to be the case. Still making the noise. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Probably your torque converter lock-up clutch is worn. Usually sounds a bit like you're driving over a cattle grid.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably your torque converter lock-up clutch is worn. Usually sounds a bit like you're driving over a cattle grid.

Phil
Did a little research and it sounds a lot like what’s going on. Probably time for the shop. Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts