RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

let me tell you this story ; Afriend of mine just bought days ago a nice supercharged (06 model ) with 58K km from an LR dealer ;

He drives it back home , all is fine .

Yesterday , after the truck was left idle for 2 days , he invites me for a ride and lunch to a seaside restaurant as i had helped him in his search for the vehicle and participated in its selection ; Off we go , and my friend just tells me that we need to go to the gas staion as the dealer actually delivered the car with a very minimum amount of gas .
The dial shows a low tank , but the light is not on , and the denso shows 84 km autonomy to go .
So he hands me over the keys and off we go to the next gas station of his choice , about 15 km further .

As its not my car , i am driving very cautiously as i want it to get in temp , and anyway postpones the driving test for after refueling ; So we hop on the highway , and then we have a hill to climb after 5 km and

1/ at about 100Km/h , in the slope , engine revving around 2000 rpm the gearbox selects twice the under speed ;
2/ then the power is lost and engines revs go down to 1200 and lower , so i pull over .
3/ Then on message board , A/V deactivated , then Engine in failsafe mode .
4/ the engine dies ;

So after a few minutes we start again in the engine and the revs wont go over 1200 rpm , and car wont leap more than 20 meters , still on the slope , so we just take the truck up about 50 meters to really stand on the side of the highway in the grass for security ;

We had the truck lifted on o tow truck and off to the LR dealer .
Got a courtesy car and off drive back ;

just let me say that my friend drove about 80 km in total only from the truck delivery , that alarm lamp for petrol was not active , although it was functionning as it lighted upon firing the engine .

So on the phone the LR mechanic calls back to us in the afternoon and states that the computer showed only low petrol pressure fault and that we should have refilled earlier .

my question is
1/ did it happen to any of you guys ?
2/ is it just a question of gauges not functionning , or being badly calibrated ?
3/ should we push the dealer to test the petrol pump further ?

Thanks in advance for your valuable input . `)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: low petrol in tank and the supercharged engine did cut off

I think driving up the hill is the clue here.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Hi jaybear,

I would not trust the fuel gauge or computer in any car until I have watched their behaviour over a couple of tanks at least, so I don't think any meaningful conclusion can be drawn at this stage.

What I can tell you is I have a 2006 supercharged with 55K km and the fuel warning light comes on consistently at about 80 Km range on the computer. Then at 50 km there is a warning chime reminder. I've not been to less than 40 Km range but there's at least 5 litres remaining fuel when I fill up. The range to empty drops quickly after the light comes on and is not accurate. As a cross reference I use a Scanguage II which I find very accurate.

I'd be interested if someone could state from experience exactly how big the tank is. I know I could get over 115 litres into the supposedly 100 litre tank of my old P38 and never ran out of fuel. :dance:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts

I was facing down a steep hill with "50 miles" left in the tank, but it wouldn't start, luckily I managed to get it to start on LPG otherwise that would have been very embarrassing! I had about 1/8th of a tank showing on the guage and the light wasnt on before I'd parked there.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for these answers ,

Funnily enough with my older 4.4L 02 Model i already have driven with much less petrol than this supercharged without experincing these symptoms ;
probably they have changed the security limits in the 06 models for the supercharged engine .

anyway i think some calibrating is needed on this supercharged gauge ...

thanks again

·
Registered
528 Posts

Search this forum... somewhere there is a very neat way to recalibrate the mileage reading and hence the distace remaining in tank measurement.

·
Registered
29 Posts

'06 Supercharged has a known issue with faulty fuel sender units. My wife ran out of fuel twice in 3 months, and the dealer R&R'ed the sender under waranty - no problems since. Each time she ran dry, the gauge did not read E and did not display the warning light, but it sure as hell was dry.
There must be a TSB on this somewhere - the dealer seemed to know about the problem when I initially discussed it with them - this was about 12 to 18 months ago.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mazny thanks Ddesbiens .

Can RRPhil or Dan -Uk tell me if they kbnow there was a TSB on the fuel sender for a july 2005 RRC supercharged ??

Jaybear

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My friend did about 800Km this week end going to the alps and back and suffered 3 times the powerloss during the week end !!!!

And this time the petrol tanks were full or half full !!!

In reading the website for the RRSport , with the same supercharged engine we found that

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrsportremed ... #powerloss

which is exactly what happened .

Does any of you guys had recently same experience ?,
How did the LR service dealt with it ??

Jaybear

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

The source of the problem was described as follows: "The electrical harness power supply and ground for the auxiliary coolant pump may be cross connected in connector C3006. The pump will run backwards causing the Engine Control Module (ECM) to reduce power to prevent damage because the pump flow is low. The auxiliary coolant pump will be degraded under these conditions.
Action: Should a customer express concern, modify the wiring at connector C3006 to the correct positions:
• Cavity 1 connected to "-" pump connection Black (B) Brown (N)
• Cavity 2 connected to "+" pump connection Brown / Purple (NP) Red / White (RW)
Install a new supercharger coolant pump as part of the repair if either the fault codes or the incorrect wiring is discovered following the repair."
So only fix if a a customer express's concern. Let the others die in head on collisions!!!! This should be an immediate re-call for effected cars surely..... :naughty:

·
Registered
155 Posts
ddesbiens said:
'06 Supercharged has a known issue with faulty fuel sender units. My wife ran out of fuel twice in 3 months, and the dealer R&R'ed the sender under waranty - no problems since. Each time she ran dry, the gauge did not read E and did not display the warning light, but it sure as hell was dry.
There must be a TSB on this somewhere - the dealer seemed to know about the problem when I initially discussed it with them - this was about 12 to 18 months ago.

Wife ran out of gas again today and I was sure it was her fault again. I showed up to try to get it going and the tank read about an 1/8th left. But sure enough, it would not start. I added a gallon of gas and away we went.

Is there a TSB for the 2006 fuel sending unti? I have looked everywhere and have found nothing.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts