Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced a low oil warning.
I checked the oil and it indicated low oil so i added 2 litres, 500 ml at a time.
The warning light stayed on.
I checked the oil again and it indicated that it required another .05litres. The warning light was still on.
I left it for several hours and i checked again to find that it was full however the warning light was still on.
I checked later again only to find it indicating that it required .05 litre and the warning light was still on.
I think the indicator may be may faulty.
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
482 Posts
From what you've said the oil level indicator reacted to you adding oil so one possibility is that it really was low. Have you noticed leaks, blue smoke out the exhaust, oil in the antifreeze or some other explanation? If not and the indicator is faulty it's possible you are now over full which is bad for the engine. My daughter got a low oil warning on her 2017 Audi Q5, she added a quart and took it to the dealer who did an oil change. They said it was over full and if it happens again to not add oil but to bring it in so yes, it's possibly a faulty warning. Her car didn't come with a dipstick so I bought her one so she can physically verify oil level. My 2016 diesel Sport does not have a dipstick nor can I add one so your vehicle may be that way too.
At this point you may as well remove all the oil, change the filter and refill with the recommended amount. See how much oil was extracted vs. what it's supposed to hold and what your indicator is now showing. At least you will know your level is correct and it's okay to drive.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
703 Posts
At this point you may as well remove all the oil, change the filter and refill with the recommended amount. See how much oil was extracted vs. what it's supposed to hold and what your indicator is now showing. At least you will know your level is correct and it's okay to drive.
This ^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts