RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious issue on my 06 RRS/C - when the range gets to approx 100kms, the engine splutters and eventually cuts out, throwing the check engine light on and the reduced engine performance warning.

At this point, the low fuel warning light is not illuminated.

Topping up the fuel makes the problem go away and after a couple of engine starts, the check engine light clears.

Anyone else had this issue? I could understand it if the fuel light was on and I had say 10kms left but surely it shouldnt do this at 100kms?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Most likely the fuel pump or filter... The lower the tank level is the harder the pump has to work to move the fuel. It could be as simple as the filter is fouled and overworking the pump when you're low on fuel.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice - I'll order up a new filter and see if that makes a difference before looking at the fuel pump. I'm thinking with with just over 100,000kms the pump should still be good

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
You might find the filter to be more then you're expecting, it is the 'cap' for the fuel pump. Replacing the filter is something I would do at this point, but I think your issue is probably that you are running out of fuel, and the vehicle is telling you that you have more then you do.

The fuel level senders are a common failure, and will cause this. To replace them(and do both at the same time) the fuel filter needs to be removed, and again, it is worth putting a new one on, especially if you have actually ran out of gas a few times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts