RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for help with my 1995 RRC 3.9L with 144,000. The problems started with ignition system, missing, no spark etc. I replaced distributor pickup plate, coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ICM etc... After replacing those part and setting the timing the vehicle was still not running as smooth as it was before problems. I finally broke down and went to independent land rover mechanic in town. They did a smoke test and found a couple vacuum leaks. They cleaned plenum, replaced gaskets in and around intake manifold we also replaced the fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter and replaced just the fuel pump and pressure was about 30psi. It ran but would take awhile to start after setting for awhile. so I ordered a new fuel pump with housing, sending unit from Lucky 8 offroad https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/fuel-pump-4/products/new-fuel-pump-kit after installation of second pump we would get 40psi only with the fuel pressure regular unplugged and capped and truck ran fine for about two weeks and now I am back to no starting and about 20psi when cranking and then bleeds down quickly. I have also tried a 3rd pump, a 340 LPH 0-100psi Hi flow pump, new tank seal with same results, no starting and about 20psi when cranking and then bleeds down quickly. Fuel injectors were replaced in 2008.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced FPR, it was bad out of the box. PSI is good and truck will run. I am now back to chasing intermittent spark issues. It will have great spark for a couple days then it will not fire. Once I do the Ohm (4ohm) reading on the plug at the distributor going to remote ICM the truck will fire right up. I have replaced ICM with power spark ICM,new distributor pickup plate, plugs, leads, cap, red rotor from accuspark, coil.

this is 1995 County with 3.9L and 142,000

·
Registered
753 Posts
The icm relocation is a good move ...
It definitely helps...
On mine it developed a short where the plug comes out of the relocation plate...
Nice looking 95

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The icm relocation is a good move ...
It definitely helps...
On mine it developed a short where the plug comes out of the relocation plate...
Nice looking 95
I will have to look at all the connections, this is a frustrating problem. Once I get it running I can start it every day and it will idle fine, I can even drive it around the neighborhood at low speeds without an issue. Once I get it out on the road and give it full throttle it will start to hesitate, sputter and miss fire. and then it dies and I have no spark.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am am a believer in useing the on board diagnostics code reader...
Are you throwing any codes???
Cleaned the MAF and inside the intake?
Loosen the gas cap ...on my 92 if I tighten the gas cap as is It should be . after a time it kills it...
I get a vacuum lock

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no codes at the moment. The plenum and MAF were cleaned, the indie mechanic also smoke tested the intake and replaced intake gaskets and secured all hose connections. replaced 8mm wires, plugs, cap red rotor, icm etc, etc. I will loosen gas gap and give it a try. If I am understanding the ignition system, basically it should start at battery→ to coil → to ICM → then to distributor and finally out to spark plugs. No spark right now, or I get one quick flash and that is it. I have to belive it is a broken wire somewhere in this loop, as it did the same thing a couple weeks ago, I did electrical trouble shooting test and the truck fired up after the ohm reading at distributor. it would start and idle everyday, then quit when I tried to do a road test.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like you are on track
The loose or broken wire sounds like a good thing to look at
Specially at the coil ....
As the distributor turns it sends the signal to the spark modulator that sends the pulse to the coil that then fires to the top of the distributor to the rotor that then make contact in the distributor cap and then on to the plugs...
Turning the distributor times the spark to the plug wires as the motor is turning...
Over time the timeing chain starts to stretch and can mess with the timeing at the distributor...On the 3.9
You have a small area to turn the distributor to hit the timeing mark...
If it is stretched...
I’m not saying this is your problem
So I’m just giving my take on these motors...
On my 3.9
When I don’t get spark...I get a new cap and rotor...then
if no start ..., I start turning the distributor to tweak it...till i get it to start...
If I get frustrated with it...
I walk away ...
Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well on the day of Christmas eve, I asked for a Christmas miracle and it was answered. I decided to look at the wiring harness and found it was routed between the serptine belt and the power steering hose and rubbing against the serpentine belt. the red and blue lead were exposed and shorting out. I repaired the the two leads and it is running like a champ. This simple fix has lead to costly repairs and parts. I hope this may help some other owners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts