RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Boxing day everyone,

I am after either some sound advice or someone to help as my L322 TD6 has been off the road since October. This is a long story so best I start from the begining

In late September the L322 started to play up only starting now and again. Using my iCarsoft fault reader I found the high pressure fuel pressure was low so changed the pressure regulator valve seals and all was great again. When I removed the pressure regulator (back of the HP pump) they were indeed split. I thought great I have the car back and only cost a few quid. Well I did have the car running for a few days then all hell broke loose. My wife took the car out and on the way home I got the call every diesel owner doesn't want which was the engine is revving by its self and producing lots of smoke. Being an auto all she could do is switch the iognition off (engine still ran and walk away. Strangely the engine didn't run flat out and destroy its self but just stopped a few minutes after the key was out.

I got the car recovered and found still plenty of oil left in the engine so am guessing the turbo is not blown but more likely the crankcase breather filter. When I took the crank case breather off it was completely saturated in oil with a nice trails down to the turbo and through the rest of the air pipework. As the engine covers were off and I always had problems starting when it is cold weather along with a glow plug failure on the diagnostic device it was time for new glow plugs. Also by removing the glow plugs I could check the compression but as expected 3x glow plugs sheared off:sad:. As the car was on my drive and the mobile expert would only drill them out and replace it it was in a building I towed it to a factory unit where it sat for a good 2-3 weeks waiting for the glow plugs to be removed. This was done at quite a cost but now I thought it is time to get it running. The car now will not turn over but it did before it was towed up to the unit. Below are the things I have found so far

• Ignition comes on to start position fine
  • Everything electrical works
  • Buttons of key don't work so bought a replacement flip case and swapped the transponder.
  • New key synced with the car so it now locks/unlocks the car and ignition still comes on
  • Battery has been on off lots of times and I know it was left flat for several weeks but have a 1000cca 100amp/h fully charged battery connected and still no cranking
  • Engine does not turn over but did before it was taken to the lockup
  • On the iCarsoft diagnostic machine I get the following: - Key valid = Yes, Key in ignition = Yes, engine immoilised = immobiled, fault code Key 2 bad random code
  • When the ignition is on I get a very faint (can only hear with no other sound around) alarm sound which is not the same as the normal car alarm.
  • Looking at the auto box lights they move from P, R, N D and no faults on the iCarsoft indicating a failure of the inhibitor switch. So I assume this is fine
  • I have tried cranking in P and N with no difference.
  • There are no other fault codes on the car
I have also downloaded every manual I can find and think it is something to do with the random code which is programmed into the key everytime the ignition is turned on is now out of sync with the key even though the code for allowing the ignition to be turned on is ok.

I am after any gems of advice anyone can give me or if there is someone in the Westbury, Wiltshire area who has a T4 testbook and is willing to either lend it to me or have a go at reyncing the random code, turning the imobiliser off or anything to get this beast going again. Once it has started I can finish off the build post engine run away

Please ask any questions as I might have forgotten something I have done which might help me get to the answer

Thanks for reading

Andy

PS the car ran perfectly prior to all of this

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know the title says low fuel pressure but that was reolved only put in there as it was the start of my problems with the L322. Main issue now will not crank after being sat a long time. Details in the main thread

1 - 2 of 2 Posts