RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the message this cool morning in NJ. I already had the water pump replaced under warranty a few years ago.

If it's just coolant I need, how do I check the color of the coolant I have now? Is the tank easily seen from just opening up the hood? Better question might be, what color is the factory coolant and what color do I need?

I did search, and it seems like the dex cool is the recommended coolant even though its had some legal issues and questionable uses.

Anyone care to share some light on the subject before I run to the auto part store tomorrow? I definitely don't want to take it to the LR dealer just yet to see if it's another pump failure, sensor failure, etc.

I hope it's just a top off and go. I have 57k miles on my 2010 HSE currently.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Add distilled water, it shouldn't take much. The coolant is there to provide other properties that water can't alone.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
You do need to use Dex-Cool / Organic Acid Technology coolant, although TripleE's recommendation to just add distilled water if your expansion tank level is a little low still stands, as you probably won't need that much to top it off and you will minimally dilute the existing coolant mix. If you need to add a lot of water, you've got bigger problem. The horror stories you read about Dex-Cool apply to older engines and vehicles from other manufacturers, and are from several years ago.

Color can be confusing - I believe the impossible-to-source Castrol antifreeze that Land Rover recommends and fills their new vehicles with is reddish/pinkish, while most GM Dex-Cool formulas sold in stores around here seem to use an orange dye, and the newer types of "works with any type of engine" coolants - which may be used in a pinch - may be a different colors still. What you want to try and avoid is non-OAT, traditional phosphates or silicates coolants (usually dyed green), as mixing the two types can significantly shorten the long service life of Dex-Cool, claimed to be 5 years or 150K miles.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Mixing dex and standard green actually forms a nice gelatinous substance very similar to smuckers jam. It goes way beyond decreased life of engine as it will be fine and then similar to jello steadily starts to solidify in the engine and then rapidly overheats it.

Even if it's caught early and flushed I have personally seen big snot like globs still stuck inside coolant journals that cause sporadic overheats until they eventually plug up sections of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
All the coolant combo's HOATS, OATS, etc these days make my head spin. I tend to suck up my pride and desire to save $ and buy the LR, Toyota, VW branded coolants for safety's sake. I hate muddy looking coolant that comes from mixing different colors of even the compatible fluids. But in a pinch add 100% distilled water as was suggested. If you are adding so much coolant all the time that the cost is a factor, you likely have a lingering issue that was not solved with the pump change.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all! I'm an idiot...coolant level is easily seen just opening the hood. The level is definitely low so I will pick up some dex cool tomorrow and fill. Then pray it doesnt go down...

·
Registered
431 Posts
thank you all! I'm an idiot...coolant level is easily seen just opening the hood. The level is definitely low so I will pick up some dex cool tomorrow and fill. Then pray it doesnt go down...
I used Pentosin sf (pink ) coolant with 50/50 distilled water mix. Look at Pentosin web site. This is what they spec for landrover ...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just to let you know,, The float that tells the sensor what's going on can and does absorb coolant and then sinks.
This part is not replaceable and is built into the reservoir.
I replaced my tank to correct this warning, and hack sawed out the float to dry. A couple of weeks later I tested it in a bowl and it had dried enough to float again.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
26 Posts
I went to a local auto part store(advanced auto part) to pick this up and asked a employee to confirm if this particular coolant is compatible with my '07 RR SC. After putting in my vehicle info on their system, he said this one will not work on my vehicle due to being a dexcool and not a ethyl or something...

Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about or what not but I walked away and visited a local LR dealer to pick up one @ $41 with tax. I just wish their coolant is prediluted for convenience.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pepboys Carrys the Pentosin sf stuff and o'reilly had it in the back as well. About $10-$12 for a 1.5 ltr undiluted bottle ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts