Range Rovers Forum banner

Low Coolant Level? Common or Not?

93K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  amm 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys,

So my wife has been driving around her used, but to us, new, 2015.5 RRS HSE for a couple of months now. It still isn't where we need to do our first oil change, but today just this morning, the "Low Coolant" warning message came on. I'm not sure if the RRS is a sealed system or not... but this worries me. Is this common? Does the RRS require frequent top-offs and usually burns up coolant, or could this be the sign of a more serious problem (i.e. coolant in the oil or something else)?

Curious about what the standard is here...

#2 ·
Relax... unless the previous own abused the engine you are not looking at anything major.

All cooling system are closed systems. No cooling system should ever require topping off. Engines do not burn coolant. The low coolant warning is just a big hint to check your coolant level. Have you visually checked to see if you are actually low on coolant? If you are not low on coolant you most likely have a failed sensor. If you really are low on coolant look for traces of coolant around the overflow tank. Remove the plastic engine cover and see if the secondary bleed valve is leaking. they are plastic and like to fail.

Most likely the issue is minor. These engines are tried and true and can handle a lot of hard work.

Are you still under warranty or extended warranty?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe it's considered an "extended" warranty, as I purchased it from the dealer at the time of purchase. Vehicle had 59,000 and some change miles on it. She's at 60,000 and some change on it now.

Are there any available instructions / torque specifications available out there short of the factory workshop service manuals (which I haven't purchased yet) for proper removal of the engine cover / location of the secondary bleed valve?

#6 ·
Hello- I would like to share my experience with you...I drive a 2014 RR Sport, I bought it brand new. I had a problem with the low coolant light coming on, took it in to check for a leak, they didn’t find a leak and just topped off the coolant. The first time that happened was two years ago. My low coolant light came back on- had it checked again, no leak found and they topped it off. This became a persistent problem, and last November, my engine overheated- the coolant had leaked out. Ended up costing me $3400...I hope this doesn’t happen to you, but I feel that you should be made aware of what could possibly happen down the road...

#10 ·
Hi guys,

So my wife has been driving around her used, but to us, new, 2015.5 RRS HSE for a couple of months now. It still isn't at the point where we need to do our first oil change yet, but today just this morning, the "Low Coolant" warning message came on. I'm not sure if the RRS is a sealed system or not... but this worries me. Is this common? Does the RRS require frequent top-offs and normally burns up coolant or could this be the sign of a more serious problem (i.e. coolant in the oil or something else)?

Curious what the standard is here...
I have a 2017 and it’s doing the same thing. We put coolant in and a week later we are getting the alarm again. I hope it’s a minor fix.

#11 ·
You should not lose coolant. If you are getting a low coolant message, and you visually confirm that the level is indeed low, you have a leak. Have the cooling system pressure tested. It will be hard to see if the water pump is leaking because of the skid plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.