RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have looked at 3 P38's 2001 - 2002 in Cali, all of them had low coolant, about half inch under the cold level.

I walked away from the cars as i was concerned about where it had gone, should i be concerned?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Not particularly. They do tend to settle a bit below the line

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i did check the footwells, cooling pipes, looked around the engine and also checked the top hose for high pressure once warm, but i could not find any leaks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
More important to check mileage, any service history, who does the maintenance (owner or garage/dealer and which).

It's gonna be a combination of the above that impacts how good the car is. There's plenty of well maintained high-mileage, and lots of low mileage with problems car out there. Also depends on whether you can do any fixes yourself, or have deep pockets for what will come up.

I always do a 10-20 mile drive, and offer to pay for the fuel !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently fixed a coolant leak on mine and it has settled at the same point you mentioned.

It never goes below this point but if I top it up again it will resettle there after a while.

I don't think there's anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have looked at 3 P38's 2001 - 2002 in Cali, all of them had low coolant, about half inch under the cold level.

I walked away from the cars as i was concerned about where it had gone, should i be concerned?

Thanks,

Dan
The fact that all 3 had about the same level, says it all really. If there was a leak, the levels would surely differ and probably be a lot lower. I'd be more worried if the level was above the mark, as that is a clear indication it has recently (just) bee topped up, possibly to mask a problem.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
A fingers width under the seam, is where they all settle to.
If you are after a car in SoCal, contact Scotty at www.becmdoctor.com.
He's in Victorville, and knows where the good ones are burried lol

Martin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine did that a couple of times after I replaced the radiator. Probably just a little air in the system. Last time I topped it off was 2 months ago and it's stayed right on the line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh WOW, my problem has been fixed. I have been putting in about a cup of water every week, cannot find the leak. If I leave it for a month it still takes a cup of water :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts