Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I apologize if I am in the wrong section.

I just bought a 2006 range rover supercharged. It ran beautifully, fast, smooth, until all of a sudden it didn't. It started misfiring very randomly, getting at least 4-5 cylinders misfiring at a time. I got a check engine light, and a performance reduced message. Swapped coils and spark plugs, no difference. I did a smoke test to look for vaccum leak, and nothing at all. I checked compression, and two of them were low. All were 180, and the other two were 110. I'm not sure which cylinder numbers they are, but the two with low compression are both the left and right cylinders closest to the drivers seat(I believe they are 4 and 8). I thought head gasket and rings, but couldnt imagine two banks in the opposite spot going bad at the same time. I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

I tried a leak down test, but couldn't make the cylinder exactly TDC (I'm not sure how to turn the engine by hand). When I put in air with the piston as close to TDC as I could get it, the engine turned a bit, as the fan moved, and then air came from the intake.

Any ideas what the problem can be?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine was not overheated. And I already looked for gasses in the coolant AND coolant in the oil. I just started it up today, and I got misfire codes p0301 and p0316, but cylinder 1 isnt even the one I have a problem with. Could O2 sensors cause this? The exhaust also smells extremely rich. I also has an intake air temperature sensor code, but i cleared it and it never came back. Right now the engine has a very bad misfire, but the plugs from the cylinders that I am worried about are hot, which makes me think they are firing fine.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
966 Posts
Just off the top it sounds to me that whatever tells the coils or fuel injectors to fire are causing the fault. Some module or sensor.

I guess you googled the codes but here is one that suggests fuel pressure or crankshaft position sensor---

[h=3]What causes the P0316 code?[/h] Several problems may cause a P0316 code including:

[h=3]What are the symptoms of the P0316 code?[/h] Symptoms of a P0316 code may include:

[h=3]How does a mechanic diagnose the P0316 code?[/h] A mechanic may use several methods to diagnose a P0316 trouble code, including:

• Utilize an OBD-II scanner to check for a stored P0316 trouble code
  • Visually inspect all wiring and electrical components for obvious signs of damage or wear
  • Check the vehicle service record to ensure all maintenance and tune-ups are up-to-date
  • Move coils, spark plugs and components from one cylinder to confirm if a specific cylinder is misfiring
  • Check fuel conditions for a lean fuel condition, which may be caused by low fuel pressure
  • If fuel conditions are lean, check for a major vacuum leak
  • Check for damaged or defective fuel injectors
  • Check for proper EGR valve function
  • Check if the catalytic converter is clogged
  • Check for damaged or defective camshaft position sensors, wiring, and connectors
[h=3]Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0316 code[/h] One common mistake made when diagnosing a P0316 trouble code include the unnecessary replacement of ignition system components. These components will most likely be the cause of the code, but a full diagnosis should be made, including checking for any additional or accompanying trouble codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.