RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had come across this little prob.... Bought the car back in June (manual 2.5dt - 96) and have been meaning to do something about it sooner but just haven't had the time...

The message on the dash says slow down... i.e. so it can go into low box.. apparently the guy that had it before me had tried to resolve this issue and couldn't, he replaced the actuator and the control ecu as the original one had burnt out the ecu that is... Now before I go wading in ripping things to pieces, I was wondering if anyone has had this issue or knows of any fixes...

Cheers in advance

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Not a lot of info to go on...

The actuator is easy to test: put 12V across the 2 thick wires in the connector. Even better, use the connector on the ECU side, that way you test both the actuator and (part of) the wireloom.

Also try and get someone with Rovacom or Testbook to check the signals from the gearbox. If the neutralswitch is not functioning, the ECU will not give the command to switch to low gear.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
275 Posts
hrhDave said:
The message on the dash says slow down... i.e. so it can go into low box..
Not sure if I understand what you mean - but here my penny though: Is the car stationary before you try to change into low gear? - if not - it's a MUST!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not trying to change it at all... as soon as you start its saying select neutral and if your moving it says slow down..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Download rave and look at the electric trouble shooting manual at page 569 (95 edition). Here you see the switches that report back the position of the transfer gearbox to the transfer gearbox ecu. If a request for gear change is received the lights of the requested side will start flashing and keep flashing until the required position of the gears are achieved and feedback signals of the switches mentioned confirm this.

If signal is out of range the transfer gearbox ecu reports a fault to the becm that activates the fault warnings on your cockpit display. What message also depends on the position of the main gearbox that also sends feedback to the becm, explaining the two different message types that you have. It is also possible that the transfer gearbox ecu is faulty and fails to give the right signal to the becm.

Regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
hrhDave said:
Im not trying to change it at all... as soon as you start its saying select neutral and if your moving it says slow down..
We had a customer with a similar problem a while ago, turned out to be the transferbox ECU, like Jos also suggests.
Chances are the ECU fried because of a problem with the actuator, so make sure that is working OK before you change the ECU!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts