RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday afternoon, I noticed a loud, high pitched whining sound coming from the front of my vehicle when driving over 100 mph. I thought nothing of it, maybe it was a fluke.

On Saturday afternoon, I was driving over 100 mph and the issue replicated as heard in this video clip https://youtu.be/WaTy7ujVbvI . I was driving in Dynamic mode and Sport mode. When I release the throttle, the whining sound dissipates.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I did a search through the forums and found quite a few hits dealing with transfer case, alternator, pulleys/belts etc but NOTHING dealing with higher speeds.

I contacted my dealer and they advised that since this issue occurs at a high rate of speed, they couldn't inspect with the ChassisEar or equivalent system since it would put their inspection license at risk to break the law and hit speeds in excess of 100 mph. I was advised to contact corporate who basically sent me in a loop to contact the local dealer.

If anyone would like to chime in, by all means.

Cheers.

https://youtu.be/WaTy7ujVbvI

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an update on this issue:

The whining noise is still happening as heard in these two new clips:
https://youtu.be/64rCV9tjNnE

https://youtu.be/ExxY5FIK-n4

One thing that I'd like to note is that when I popped the hood with the engine on, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the right passenger side (I think its the RH MAF). I was able to feel a lot of air from that side vs no air/hissing from the left driver side.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
If your hearing hissing at a MAF then you are not getting a tight fitment. If this is happening on the outflow side of the MAF you would have unmetered air in the intake and your MAF readings would be off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update: The dealer is trying to rule out the issue being related to an rpm dependent problem and so they requested me to attempt to replicate the noise by manually shifting the vehicle instead of the previous occurrences where I used full automatic shifting. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1jdzlYlImU . It appears to be occuring in 5th gear at around 5500 rpm. I'm also leaning towards the issue being temperature dependent for some reason as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to update everyone on my issue and the resolution. Two TSBs were performed on my vehicle LTB00891NAS2 and LTB00861NAS2 which corresponds to replacing one of the weatherstrip seals on the panoramic sunroof and replaces a roof side moulding. The issue wasn't resolved after that.

A few days pass and the regional field engineer calls the local dealership saying that there's an older TSB for this kind of noise occurring at fast highway speeds. They removed and replaced the windshield trim piece that is in between the windshield and the front of the panoramic sunroof and applied a stronger adhesive. No issues since.

I thought I'd post the resolution since people have asked in PM, YouTube, and other social media. Hope this helps someone out there having this issue!!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
LMAO!!! I swear Land Rover has had issues with windshield trim since they ditched rubber gaskets in 95. Amazing how much those dang buzzing noises travel!

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
I'm just shocked that your dealer actually fixed your issue! Some places would say they "couldn't replicate" or that the problem happens "outside posted speed limit".

I had a 2008 BMW 550i M Sport that had this exact issue and the dealer wouldn't even try to address the problem since it only happened at high speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just shocked that your dealer actually fixed your issue! Some places would say they "couldn't replicate" or that the problem happens "outside posted speed limit".

I had a 2008 BMW 550i M Sport that had this exact issue and the dealer wouldn't even try to address the problem since it only happened at high speed.
I persisted giving the example that if I were to purchase an aventador from my local dealer and wasn't able to exceed 85 for whatever reason that is not satisfactory for a purchase like that, am I expected to just suck it up for being SOL? People don't buy these kinds of vehicles to drive 50 mph. If you're paying for something that is capable of doing something and you're restricted from doing so or takes away from enjoying your purchase, then they should be able to either take it back or fix the issue.

The dealer was very helpful in this situation and even went as far as giving an option for them to acquire track time, tow my vehicle to the track (Indiana?), and test with an experienced driver + engineer passenger. Would have been cool to see my vehicle professionally tracked but we resolved prior.

Before anyone says "oh you're breaking the law. Oh you're driving too fast. Oh it's so dangerous". One of my coworkers actually went the mile and said that if I get into an accident with someone and someone dies, she hopes it's me. Yes. Thanks for letting me know. I understand the risks. I "tracked" my vehicle to perform these tests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mind reposting the video as it appears it is no longer available. I have a similar issue and wanted to compare the sounds. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
1 Posts
Weird that the dealers still can't (or won't) identify this very common issue. I had this happen with an '04 RR HSE at around 5 years old. Dealer had no clue and gave it back saying the car is fine. Took it then to Classic 4x4s in Fairfield, CT, where it was diagnosed immediately as a common issue and fitted with new adhesive and it went away. Dozens of friends with land rovers have had the same issue, each with their various dealers across the country having no idea what they are talking about until I told them and they relayed to the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted to chime in and have the same issue with my '14 HSE that I bought back in April '17.

To the OP: do you happen to still have the paperwork from the window trim service? I'd to have the TSB number when I bring the car in. That way they can't say that "they've never heard of that problem before".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to chime in and have the same issue with my '14 HSE that I bought back in April '17.

To the OP: do you happen to still have the paperwork from the window trim service? I'd to have the TSB number when I bring the car in. That way they can't say that "they've never heard of that problem before".
My apologies. I thought I closed the loop on this issue but I guess it slipped my mind. There is a TSB on this issue as a result of me haha. Refer them to LTB00610NAS3 - Wind Noise at High Vehicle Speeds. I can’t attach the TSB here since I don’t know how. If you’d like me to email it to you, send a note to my user name at gmail. Best of luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts