Range Rovers Forum banner

Loud knocking noise for 3-8 seconds on startup---dealer says its normal.....

10K views 54 replies 10 participants last post by  NoExpert 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

hope all are Doing well

on 2016 td6 a new noise has started at startup. It sounds like lifter noise as if oil isn’t reaching there.

the sound goes away 2-10 seconds after starting
Has anyone else experienced this also ?

#4 ·
I also have a 2016 TD6 with 35K miles. I'm in AZ and have never noticed that but even after parked overnight the oil is warm and circulates right away. Assuming it's lifters, it sound like it's taking a few seconds for oil pressure to build and oil to reach the them. The obvious first step is to check the oil level.
Land Rover only approves the use of 5W-30 meeting their 3.0 diesel specification STJLR.03.5005. A low viscosity number of 5 is pretty fluid, probably to get oil circulated quickly upon start-up. The LR spec may also have additives that stick on metal parts after shut-off. If yours has been dealer serviced it probably has the correct oil. If not you may want to purchase some and an OEM filter and provide it to whoever does your oil changes.
There's also a company called Blackstone Labs ( www.blackstone-labs.com ) that can analyze your oil and tell you the viscosity, various elements such as metals or antifreeze, whether additives are holding up, whether there are signs fuel is getting in the oil etc.

#31 ·
I also have a 2016 TD6 with 35K miles. I'm in AZ and have never noticed that but even after parked overnight the oil is warm and circulates right away. Assuming it's lifters, it sound like it's taking a few seconds for oil pressure to build and oil to reach the them. The obvious first step is to check the oil level.
Land Rover only approves the use of 5W-30 meeting their 3.0 diesel specification STJLR.03.5005. A low viscosity number of 5 is pretty fluid, probably to get oil circulated quickly upon start-up. The LR spec may also have additives that stick on metal parts after shut-off. If yours has been dealer serviced it probably has the correct oil. If not you may want to purchase some and an OEM filter and provide it to whoever does your oil changes.
There's also a company called Blackstone Labs ( www.blackstone-labs.com ) that can analyze your oil and tell you the viscosity, various elements such as metals or antifreeze, whether additives are holding up, whether there are signs fuel is getting in the oil etc.

hello, do you get lifter noise while driving ? i find a clattering noises and lifter noises while accelerating

#6 ·
I couldn't view either video to hear the noise so was going on your original post that said it sounds like lifter noise and that the sound goes away in 2-10 and seconds. An exhaust leak or an injector can sometimes have a ticking sound that will go away too. Bad main bearing or bent connecting rod can have a deeper knocking sound but it doesn't go away. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

#10 ·
Kindly have a listen to the video. It is now posted properly.

there is no light on. Sounds like coming from throttle body area but cannot confirm for sure. Throttle body was replaced few weeks ago for a different problem

It is always there in the morning but most of the time during the day there is no noise.

after cooling off for about 3 hours the noise happens again.

#14 ·
With the sound going away so fast, I wonder if the issue isn't an electrical component such as the fuel pump or an injector- maybe even a coil pack. If it's mechanical (lifters, etc.) the sound wouldn't go away until the engine heated up.

I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with a bad tapping sound on start up. On start up it sounded like it was out of oil but I had plenty of oil and good oil pressure...after the engine warmed up (2 to 3 minutes) the sound would die down. The 5.7 liter hemi has a bad habit of shearing the exhaust manifold bolts and I had several on both sides of the engine that need to be replaced. The sound was actually the manifold tapping against the block when the engine was cold and it would go away when everything heated up. It was out of warranty but Jeep split the cost of the repair since it is a known problem on the V8s.

I've also had a water pump that produced a tapping sound but that sound would be constant.

Reactions: bangbang
#15 ·
It actually sounds like lack of oil at start-up. Do you know what type of oil was used when it was recently changed? The Land Rover specification for diesel oil is full synthetic 5W-30 meeting STJLR.03.5005. Not every 5W-30 meets this standard and may not have the additives that are friendly to the diesel particulate filter or that cause the oil to stick to the moving parts when the motor isn't running. If it's thicker/heavier than 5W-30 such as 10W-30 or 20W-30 it doesn't flow as easily and takes a bit longer to reach the moving parts.

#28 ·
What is the Oil-Type and specified "Spec" in your manual, i.e... its brand, weight, viscosity, etc?

#35 ·
Hello, update on this knocking sound is that it is normal ( as per land rover ).

I am wondering if any members with the 2016 diesel can do a cold start video so I can show the dealer what a normal engine sounds like.

I am attaching another video which clearly shows the knocking noise at start and disappear's after a few seconds..

If anyone can post or email videos of cold start that would be much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.