RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost speedo, tach,fuel gauge, temp gauge, indicators & HEVAC

As Title: Lost speedo, tach,fuel gauge, temp gauge, indicators & HEVAC HEVAC still works but have lost display. Out and about so have pulled all small fuses for a visual check under seat and in engine bay and look OK.

P38 4.6
LPG & Petrol

Interestingly when replacing a 30A fuse from the top line under the seat there was a Pop from inside the car.....

Any guidance on where a failure point common to the above might be found. I'll check the Earths and all fuses as a first pass, but if that 'pop' was something chances are it was BECM I guess.

Prob unrelated, but last few days the gearbox red dot has not been moving around as it should (i.e. to reverse).

Headlights work as they should, car starts and goes although it was missing -- This could be running out of fuel tho :)

I have Nanocom, but not sure how that helps me with this yet...

Any thoughts gratefully received (It is cold driving around with window open using hand signals!!).

I have a spare P38 so can swap bits about..

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Re: Lost speedo, tach,fuel gauge, temp gauge, indicators & H

Fuse 1 in the BeCM (underseat) fusepanel power5s the instruments and is the only one you won't get a warning for if it is blown (as it powers the fuse checking circuit). Shouldn't affect the HEVAC but it may be just that the bulb behind the display has gone and is a coincidence.

Gear selector red dot not moving suggests a problem with the XYZ switch on the side of the gearbox and again isn't connected.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

I seem to recall, there is a common earth point under the centre console. Also, possibly some splice points in the harness.
Have a look at Rave. There are several current threads about earth points and their location.
Orangebean seems to know all of them by heart!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Orangebean seems to know all of them by heart!
I'm just a down-to-earth kind of guy :)
I'd start at E254. A favourite for corrosion/ damp and the panel earth (amongst others) goes through there.
e254.JPG

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

See? OB can run a problem to earth in record time!

·
Registered
98 Posts

Hi,
My speedo & tach would not work and fuel gauge warning light and temp gauge warning lights were on when I knew I had fuel and temp was OK. Got Electric Circuit and ABS message. After driving the rig a short while, speedo and tach came back. Warning lights remained on as were the error messages.

All fuses were good (bought new fuse box from Atlantic British about 3 years ago). Turned out it was just extremely high humidity here in Memphis. Nonetheless, I loosened (not unbolted) the earth (ground) that Orangebean identified with pic above. Sprayed with MAF sensor cleaner and tightened back up. No messages and all gauges are now working. Thanks to all, Joy, oh joy!

·
Registered
98 Posts

I should add that the turn signals blinking were not visible but I could hear their ticking when set. The Cruise would set to current speed though there was nothing on the speedometer. My HEVAC display was not affected.

Prior to this Instrument Panel issue, I have had battery cable problems since I bought the rig about 3 years ago. I finally bought an OEM negative cable at the local dealership ($60). Still had intermittent no-start problem. Would wiggle the Alternator wire and the rig would fire up. I found a good positive cable about 4 months ago at a breaker yard but kept putting off replacing it. Did so when I got the Instrument Panel issue. Moral of the story is to fix electrical problems as they occur.

To refit the Alternator wire, I used a small telescoping magnet to hold one facing of the nut (not the shoulder) and aligned the nut on the mounting stud. Took a long screwdriver and wedged it against the nut on the stud. Held in place and used a 13 mm open-end wrench to tighten.

·
Registered
175 Posts

I seem to be having something similar....just made a post about it. Did you solve your problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just outta spite. Check all 4 speed sensors push them in they will self adjust. Also check the speed sensor wire connectors. Reason being as the speed sensors operate the speedometer, odometer, rpm possible other things. Worth a look

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
SniperCQ
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing