RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have no locking wheelnut key and need to get my wheels off.
I do not know which key I need. Does anyone know how many different keys there are?

Thanks for your help,

Mike.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Please review the guidelines. We have no idea what year and model you have. You are showing a set of nuts with lock release but you give no info. We have no idea what continent you are on so have no way to eliminate market difference.

Really... we need some info to go and you need to tell us what the photo represents.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
:lol:

I actually have a set of those left over from a Bentley project I got saddled with. Dang thing had far too many large Whitworth items that my metrics and SAE tools did not play well with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I posted this in the Mark 3 L322 forum and, as I understand it after further research, these nuts apply to all models in addition to Range Rover Sport and Discovery 3 and 4. Will amend my details further shortly.

Mike.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Mike, there are three generations of L322s, there are two different types of lug nuts available during those three generations. The photo means nothing if it is a stock photo. How about a photo or your lug nuts?

You also need a real location in your profile. I happen to know you are posting from a Kirkland Washington area IP address. On future posts no body will be able to include only info for NAS market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rob,

I have discovered that the locking nus in question really do apply to all variants of the mark III as well as the sport version for similar years and additionally Discovery 3 and 4. There are 20 different locking keys or locking nuts (NOT ORDINARY LUG NUTS) and I am investigating which key I need.

Best wishes,

Mike.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Mike, if you want us to give an answer you need to provide a photo of your nuts. We are not mind readers and have no idea what you are going on about. Yes there are many different sets of locking nuts that are generic to various LR products. Do you have top hat nuts or conical nuts? Which pattern? Again you are giving us nothing to go on.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
RRT I think Mike is looking for a place to get the correct key to fit his locks like he pictured
IOW so he can remove them without damage and put them back on.

One thought would be to go to the dealer with the truck and let them look and see if they might have the master set of keys for these particular locks

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I know what he is looking for Merlin. That is not a picture of his lug nuts it is a stock advert photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what he is looking for Merlin. That is not a picture of his lug nuts it is a stock advert photo.
You are entirely correct RRToadHall because it was easier to use that to illustrate my point.

I did as Merlin suggested (but before he suggested it!).

I went to my local main dealer. They wanted £90 to ascertain which key I needed so I declined. I have subsequently discovered there are 20 lettered keys one of which will fit my locking nut. I am now awaiting delivery of a complete set which will save me a lot of time driving/phoning around

to find someone who will sort it for free.

Mike.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
Yes I figured its not a picture of his nuts he posted as they are firmly attached to his wheels since he has no key .
and who takes pictures of their locking nuts before they put them into service.

RRT your entirely correct about us not being mind readers about how someone else s nuts look.

Mike went about a solution the smart way buy a master set ( let your wallet do the talking)

Funny thing about locking nuts they are usually an impediment to the owner or the mechanic.
not many people are going around stealing FFRR wheels/tires.

ONE suggestion train yourself to put the new key into the same spot every time like in the bottom of the console or in a pouch with the tire tools ,
let the mechanic know where your stash is so they dont have to tear the whole vehicle apart to find that dang key.

Its not the first time the locking lug removal tools come out and 4 new lug nuts are installed when the car gets inspected,
we throw out more than a few sets of locking lugs at the shop due to lost keys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Merlin is right. Locking wheelnuts are detrimental to the owner although I do know a chap who lives just round the corner and had none who woke up to find his Merc propped up on bricks. Nice of the thieves not to leave it on the road!

My set of keys has now arrived and the issue is sorted. I am keeping them to help firends and have warned my mates and anyone reading this to make a record of their key code. It should be in the vehicle documentation but, asking around, does not appear to be so in every case.

Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts