RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have a 1998 DSE that never hardly give me problems but other evening me and the wife thought we would go to our local transport cafe for dinner and on the way it felt like i was losing power, to get it to move from a standstill was nearl impossible and to go from say 40mph to 50 mph i had to put the gas pedel to the floor to hit the kick down to get any speed, we went in the cafe and had lunch and got in the Range Rover to go home and all was well again, anybody throw any light on what my trouble was.

Thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I've experienced loss of power, when my ignition leads were bad. Car would be ok from cold, but after the engine reached optimal (read furnace :shhh: ) levels, I would lose power and it ran a bit lumpy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a diesel, i think it was the engine ecu having a bad day as everything is ok now , must be a very rare problem as nobody else has had that trouble.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Maybe the fuel quantity sensor is on its way out? :(

Time to read some codes perhaps?

·
Registered
719 Posts
could it be that your transmission went into fault mode? im sure it would say on the readout if it did but that sounds exactly what happened to mine when it went into fault mode. turned it off and started it back up and all was well... good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Start by checking the hoses going from the intercooler to the manifold and from the turbo to the intercooler. They are layered, and sometimes the inner layer gets looses and greatly reduces the airflow.

If the airsupply is OK, look at the fuelside: a bad pump (either the injectionpump on the engine or the fuel pump in the tank) or even an airlock in the fuelfilter can mean not enough fuel reaches the injectors.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I've had a sudden loss of power from my DSE when the red temperature warning light came on. I think it was a failsafe device written into the engine management software. Also when the turbo hose blew off - two occasions !

I think you can discount both of these though.

Other suggestions - have you drained off any water/sediment from the diesel fuel filter bowl ? It could be water in the tank or you have filled up with dirty diesel. Also check the fuel tank vent is OK - open the cap to see if it is under vacuum when the engine starts to die.

Dave
:think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts