Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, sorry if this has been discussed before, have searched through 17 pages of forum with no mention of anything like this!

OK, did a relatively long trip today (about 220 miles) in the 1998 P38 4.0, and on the motorway on an uphill noticed speed was dropping, and little response from the throttle. Wouldn't kick down when when pressed to the boards, and the rev counter would jump a little around 2200-2400 rpm - could push it past that but nothing more doing after 3000 rpm.

Now, I've had symptoms like this before in another car where the problems all stemmed from a faulty potentiometer on the throttle, but thought it was well worth asking for some advice here as there's a lot of P38 knowledge.

At low speeds around town, there's not problem, which confused me a little - it's only beyond 2200 rpm that the problem occours.
In some ways, it's like clutch slip (there's 164,000 miles on the car, new engine at 130,000 but still originaly box I think).
Had checked gearbox oil just today, all fine.

Any suggestions before it's off to the mechanic on Monday morning ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, dash is prefectly fine, no warnings, temperature normal, no warning lights at all.

Earlier in the day there was a 'brake fluid low' message but I topped it up and all seemed fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, little update.

This feels now much more engine related than transmission, took the car for a drive around the block this morning and the hesitation is still there, slow acceleration but the rev counter is still flickering around the 2000 rpm spot.

Putting it in 3 or 2 in the gearbox didn't change anything, but if I put it in neutral and slowly increase the revs there is indeed a hesitation around 2000. Giving it a hard rev (not the best thing to do early morning in a residental street!) WILL get the revs up to 3000 but there's a tiny little 'backfire' type noise as the revs subside.

Still, feels much more like something not quite right enginewise. I had similar symptoms many years ago with a blown intake gasket on another car.

Any pointers ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,227 Posts
From memory, these symptoms have been posted before in relation to one of the engine sensors... I just can't remember which one exactly... I have a feeling it could be the MAF or CKP (crankshaft position sensor).

My gut is saying MAF - so maybe do a search on google for "P38 range rover faulty MAF" and see what comes up... reason I say that is the last I read, the forum search won't search for anything with 3 letters of less... which rules out a lot of vehicle related terms... yet google search will look for it, and you'll probably find results from this forum as well as other land rover forums...

If you can get the mechanic to diagnose it, then you might have a place to start, but a lot of people don't seem to have error codes show up for MAF, CKP sensors etc...

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts