RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i swapped out the stock 19's with some black matte 22 inch stormers. noticed IMMEDIATELY that it seems to take a bit longer off the start. obviously there's less revolutions per mile with the bigger 22's but shouldn't the overall diameter of the wheel and tire be the same? is it possible that it seems a little more sluggish because they weigh so much more than the 19's?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's it. No one could argue anymore that size doesn't matter - obviously it does! :dance:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umbertob said:
What size tires did you put on the 22s?
came with Lexani 285/35/22

·
Registered
318 Posts
cameradude said:
so i swapped out the stock 19's with some black matte 22 inch stormers. noticed IMMEDIATELY that it seems to take a bit longer off the start. obviously there's less revolutions per mile with the bigger 22's but shouldn't the overall diameter of the wheel and tire be the same? is it possible that it seems a little more sluggish because they weigh so much more than the 19's?

Thoughts?
It has only to do with the extra rotational mass of those 22's. I bet that wheel/tire combo weighs about 85 lbs or so whereas your stock 19's were probably 60 lbs or so. That's alot of extra weight at each corner.

Google 'rotational mass' or 'unsprung weight' and it will answer all your questions with much more detail than I can/did.

This is why so many people get forged wheels - they're lighter AND stronger, but boy are they expensive. They'd probably weigh just about the same as your stock setup. Hope this helps.

oh by the way, you do have 285 35's so yes there are less rotations but if you did a 285 30 22 the rev's would be the same as stock however that has little to do with your acceleration problems. Most people in the Mustang world with this problem just re-gear the rear end - not an option here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! i'll check that out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh by the way, you do have 285 35's so yes there are less rotations but if you did a 285 30 22 the rev's would be the same as stock
Agreed. Many forget that the sidewall rating is the percentage of the wheel width. I assume that your Stormers are 10" wide whereas your stock 19"s were 8" wide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts