RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 95 4.0 developed a new problem. I was driving when the gearbox suddenly downshifted to 3rd and began to lose power. I had to mash the gas to keep it at about 40mph. It continued to have no power for about 30 seconds, then surged for about 5 seconds until it was back to normal. It seemed to do it more often around 3rd to 4th, only once did it have no power accelerating from a standstill. My best guess would be a possible torque converter problem, but wouldnt that cause these problems across all gears? Fluid level was fine. Anybody experience any similar symptoms? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is the fluid clean? I would suspect a possible internal seal leak.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Loss of fuel pressure,contaminated fuel,blocking fuel filter all could cause the problem.More likely the gearbox changed down due to the engine losing power. :?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The fluid looks clean on the dipstick, I'll know more once I can drain some as the car is on the bumpstops since the exhaust decided to melt the airline that goes to the tank on the same day all this happened. Would I use the nozzle on the fuel rail to check pressure, or is there something else? I know the fuel filter hasnt been changed in the past 5 years that I've owned it, so that will get done today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts