RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you can help?

Range Rover L322 3.0 TD6 Vogue 2002

Battery fully charged and in good working order.

symptoms- loss of power to dashboard, centre consol and ignition.
All other electrical items work.
I have just stripped the console down and put a tester across fuses 18, 25 & 53 and across the ignition switch. Fuses all good, on the back of my ignition switch I have 2x red wires , 1xpurple/black, 1xyellow black and 1xgreen.

Both red wires are live when the ignition is off, turn it to position 1&2 and the middle red wire looses all voltage, outer red wire remains at normal voltage , no other wires turn live. The yellow black wire turns live in start position but does not turn the engine over.

My question is, does this sound like a faulty ignition switch? Or do I need to start looking down the fusebox / any other route?

Your help is very much appreciated

Thanks,

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
59 Posts
Hi, i have exactly the same problem with my l322 vogue TDV8 2007 !!!
i dont know if your car did the same thing as mine but i was driving home a few days ago and warning messages started pinging up on the lcd screen one after the other, first was TDC fault then AIR suspension fault then gearbox fault, HDC fault and engine fault. the engine literally shut down and i coasted to the side of the road. The interior lights where working and the radio was still on but the instrument cluster lights where all off and the car would not start. the only message that appears on the lcd screen is to say the key is in the ignition. i called my recovery service and they arrived and tried to diagnose the problem at the road side but the guy said there is nothing he could do. he tried plugging in a diagnostic code reader into the OBD port but as the ignition wont come on the so reader couldn't read any codes. the car got picked up on a low loader truck and taken to my local garage. Me and the mechanic at the garage started trouble shooting the car and while i was looking at the OBD port i noticed a three way rocker switch under the steering wheel near to the OBD socket. when i pushed the button the dashboard came to life and the ignition system switched on, i put the key in the ignition and the car started !! but as soon as i let go of the switch it all shut down again including the engine. the Mechanic said the button i pushed is a transportation switch the the stealership uses when a car is delivered so they can activate air suspension and windows without the key when delivering cars to the showrooms, he said the switch should have been removed but they rarely do ! he said it might be the ignition switch that`s faulty on my car but then again it might not be that but most likely. unfortunately to get to the ignition switch in an 07 RR is a pain in the ass ! its at least a 4 hour job to strip down the dashboard to get to it, i don`t want to pay to have it done so i`m currently in the process of stripping the dashboard myself. i`m hoping the problem is either a broken wire or something i can fix inside the electronics of the ignition switch, otherwise it will need a new switch at a cost of about £100 plus it will need to be re-coded to the car by the RR Stealership.

·
Registered
174 Posts
While it is likely a defective switch, a wiring diagram will help here. You need to trace the circuit going dead to its source. It is possible, for example, for a defective connection from the battery or fuse box to make that wire go dead due to a voltage drop. Just a heads up, never assume a component is defective until you test it. Electrical troubleshooting like this can quickly get expensive, and the tampering can cause issues you did not expect. Ray

·
Registered
59 Posts
Managed to strip the dash down and remove the switch, it was a bit of a struggle to dismantle the dash but took no where near as long as the mechanic quoted me. They reconed 4 hours to strip down plus another 4 to reassemble. Took me about 2 hours to strip down. I’m going to disassemble the switch soon. I’ll take pictures as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The two red wires are feeds to the switch and are supossed to be always hot, one comes from Fuse link 2 (60A) and the other comes from Fuse 53 (30A). The one from link 2 passes thru the switch (probably only in start) and comes out on the yellow/black wire and feeds the immobilizer, which in turn feeds the starter motor relay (in the starter on the TD6). The red wire from Fuse 53 passes thru the switch and comes out on the green wire (probably only in position 2). This green wire returns to the fuse block and feeds fuse 5 (7.5A) which feeds the alternator field wiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the info on the connections. I pulled the ignition apart and the bit that houses the contacts is a standard BMW part ! It’s the same as in the X5 ect. I tested the pins with a DVM while turning to the different positions and I found that pins 5 to 8 are not making contact. I think pin 8 is the one that goes to the immobiliser. I’m going to strip the switch down to look at it’s internals. I’ve included pictures of my work so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wrong about pins 5 to 8 this must be the ignition start position. It’s all testing ok with my DVM so I can assume the switch is not the problem here. It must be either the wires to the imobiliser or the immobiliser itself. Does anyone know where the immobiliser is situated in the car ?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
5 TO 8 is the immobilzer circuit feed.Power comes from link 2 to terminal 5, 8 goes out to the immobilzer on the black/yellow wire and lands on terminal 2 at the immobilzer, which is under the center console right at the edge of the dash. On a NA truck its on the LH side (drivers side) so probably on a UK truck its probably on the right side.
Terminal 6 feeds terminal 9 power comes from Fuse 53 and goes back to fuse 5 (and a bunch more fuses) Fuse 5 feeds power to the alternaotr to flash the field when the engine is running) Assume this contact is closed in position 2.
Terminal 6 also feeds terminal 2 (which is the aux circuit closed in position 1(and 2?) power still comes from link 2 and feeds back to fuse 31 (and others) on a purple/black wire.

Ignition switch terminals 2,5,6,8 and 9 are the only pins with external wires attached to them.
UK_td6 IMMOBILIZER_Circuit_Diagram_UK.jpg

UK_TD6 START_Circuit_Diagram_UK.jpg
2001-2005 immobilizer wiring.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts