Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
L322 2010 HSE V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m having an issue that is so annoying and frustrating I didn’t find any fix to it anywhere on the internet or the several mechanics that I visited, and here I’m with this issue as my first post.

The issue with my L322 is kind of hard to accurately describe in words but it’s generally a drivability/performance issue. It has a delayed acceleration, delay in gear shifts, feels rough and vibrates when going 60mph/100km and above.

I have a few months ago done a major service and later changed the high pressure & low pressure fuel pumps, cleaned the air system and fixed an oil leak in the front right axle, among a few other wear and tear.

The car is not showing any fault codes at all!

Would very much appreciate any suggestions and ideas on what might fix it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
How many miles? I had an engine problem, I thought was transmission. I had a transmission problem I thought could have been (for a minute:) ) an engine issue.

So you need to find out if someone can determine one or the other. One thing that would help is to pull your transmission adaptations (A -E)
Also monitor your engine fuel pressure, MAF flows, RPM's in a plotted graph. I can do that with the GAP tool.

·
Registered
L322 2010 HSE V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles? I had an engine problem, I thought was transmission. I had a transmission problem I thought could have been (for a minute:) ) an engine issue.

So you need to find out if someone can determine one or the other. One thing that would help is to pull your transmission adaptations (A -E)
Also monitor your engine fuel pressure, MAF flows, RPM's in a plotted graph. I can do that with the GAP tool.
Thanks for your reply.

The car has about 88k miles on it.

I have bought the car used and since I got it I have been taking good care of the engine I believe. However never actually came near the transmission as I have a vague belief that it’s more sensitive so I don’t want to mess with it.

The mechanic is suggesting a few parts which might be causing the issue which are 1-Differential, 2-Torque Converter. But have suggested that we don’t mess with them just yet and rather wait for the problem to get slightly worse to a point where we can make sure of the source.

I have also reset the ECM & TCM adaptation multiple times but it did not result in any noticeable improvement. As to the other values, I personally don’t know how to determine weather the values are within a normal range but the mechanic said he checked them and didn’t see any abnormality.

The reason that I’m asking for help with this issue is while the mechanic’s suggestion about waiting for it to get worse seems reasonable enough, I just don’t want to wait for it because I feel the bill might become more expensive by then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
How do you reset the ECM and TCM?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
484 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

The car has about 88k miles on it.

I have bought the car used and since I got it I have been taking good care of the engine I believe. However never actually came near the transmission as I have a vague belief that it’s more sensitive so I don’t want to mess with it.

The mechanic is suggesting a few parts which might be causing the issue which are 1-Differential, 2-Torque Converter. But have suggested that we don’t mess with them just yet and rather wait for the problem to get slightly worse to a point where we can make sure of the source.

I have also reset the ECM & TCM adaptation multiple times but it did not result in any noticeable improvement. As to the other values, I personally don’t know how to determine weather the values are within a normal range but the mechanic said he checked them and didn’t see any abnormality.

The reason that I’m asking for help with this issue is while the mechanic’s suggestion about waiting for it to get worse seems reasonable enough, I just don’t want to wait for it because I feel the bill might become more expensive by then.
Have the spark plugs been replaced?

They are supposed to have a 100,000 mile service life so are often overlooked when relying on modern laptop based diagnostics.

Often, that causes folks to overthink problems by not starting with the basics ;)

Rob

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hello everyone,

I’m having an issue that is so annoying and frustrating I didn’t find any fix to it anywhere on the internet or the several mechanics that I visited, and here I’m with this issue as my first post.

The issue with my L322 is kind of hard to accurately describe in words but it’s generally a drivability/performance issue. It has a delayed acceleration, delay in gear shifts, feels rough and vibrates when going 60mph/100km and above.

I have a few months ago done a major service and later changed the high pressure & low pressure fuel pumps, cleaned the air system and fixed an oil leak in the front right axle, among a few other wear and tear.

The car is not showing any fault codes at all!

Would very much appreciate any suggestions and ideas on what might fix it!
In my humble opinion if you are not getting any codes your issue is not electronic related. All critical systems re monitored so i would lean toward all your critical systems being OK.
Based on your symptoms on the car i think your issue is axle, bearings and or cv joint/driveline (mechanical) related why? because it shakes when you get to a certain speed. My opinion is based on experiences and troubleshooting i performed on my vehicle which now has 307,000 miles on it. All but the from axles are original and when i got the car at about the same mileage you have 10 years ago i had the same issue , it had been through five owners and it was considered a lemon. the hesitation is caused by a lack of smooth power transfer if there is play in the cv joint , Have the car lifted off the ground and wiggle each wheel horizontally then vertically , horizontal wiggle will let you know if your control arms ar ok , vertical wiggle will tell you if there is worn cv joint issues as there will be play , the shaking at 60 is usually because of play in the driveline system. Sometimes the wheels will still be tight but the cv joint are bad due to heavy towing which is what i suspect happened during the first use of the car so you can have low miles and still have bad cv joints. when i changed my front cv joints the hesitation vanished , so did the vibrations and the “happy feel “ every time i engaged gears , it felt like there was a gap nd sometimes i would hear a distinctive link. That is all in the drive line , check your shaft saver (rubber piece between transmission outlet flange and drive shaft) if it looks cracked then the holes are worn , also a source of gappiness and vibrations , also check your rubber spacer on the rear drive shaft and the high vibration damping rubber support between the transfer case and the rear differential(it sits high attached to vehicle body . If your bearing , spacers axles joints are worn you’ll have the issues you describe, i even went as far to change my differentials and that never solved the problem , what’s solving the problem is replacing the axles , when you think about it they are the most worked parts on the mechanical side of the transmission , transfer case and differential system that are not electronically monitored besides your wheel alignment being so far off and if that were the case your hdc inactive code would notify you of it. I hope this helps , start with the rear axles..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the spark plugs been replaced?

They are supposed to have a 100,000 mile service life so are often overlooked when relying on modern laptop based diagnostics.

Often, that causes folks to overthink problems by not starting with the basics ;)

Rob
+1 on this one, had an issue with my Jag that sounds very similar, Plugs looked like they had gone around the sun and the gaps were horribly out of spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts