RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was happily cruising around the Birmingham area on Thursday...started going up a hill, revs pick up a little, car slows down and eventually starts to roll backwards. D doesn't work, R doesn't work, 1 doesn't work. Switch off, wait, switch on again but still no drive. Obviously fubarred so RAC recovery to Stratstone Solihull. Display shows "Gearbox in protect mode".

Car has 78k miles. Has had the front diff work (@60k). Has had the replacement rad and gearbox oil change (@75k).

They will be phoning me on Monday with their view of the damage....what should I expect? Anything I need to know about what they tell me?
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
MPx said:
I was happily cruising around the Birmingham area on Thursday...started going up a hill, revs pick up a little, car slows down and eventually starts to roll backwards. D doesn't work, R doesn't work, 1 doesn't work. Switch off, wait, switch on again but still no drive. Obviously fubarred so RAC recovery to Stratstone Solihull. Display shows "Gearbox in protect mode".

Car has 78k miles. Has had the front diff work (@60k). Has had the replacement rad and gearbox oil change (@75k).

They will be phoning me on Monday with their view of the damage....what should I expect? Anything I need to know about what they tell me?
Did the dealer do the fluid change? They could have put the wrong fluid in?
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Did the dealer do the fluid change? They could have put the wrong fluid in?
Yep...It was done by Matfords in Exeter. They'd had the car 3 times with the sticking in gear fault and after searching on here I had to insist that they did the rad and oil change against their advice cos they kept telling me that the diags showed no fault found. It appeared to cure the prob so I was chuffed. No idea what they put in - the invoice says

LSTC4863 Oil - Gearbox 6 £14.12 each £76.25

Is that OK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I've noticed this as well on my RR. Especially when accelerating uphill on the freeway/highway. I notice a high rev before I get any pickup in speed. To top things off my warranty just ran out and I decided not to purchase the extended warranty.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
MPx said:
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Did the dealer do the fluid change? They could have put the wrong fluid in?
Yep...It was done by Matfords in Exeter. They'd had the car 3 times with the sticking in gear fault and after searching on here I had to insist that they did the rad and oil change against their advice cos they kept telling me that the diags showed no fault found. It appeared to cure the prob so I was chuffed. No idea what they put in - the invoice says

LSTC4863 Oil - Gearbox 6 £14.12 each £76.25

Is that OK?
Don't know which RR you have, year/engine etc. You should fill out your sig...
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
808Range said:
I've noticed this as well on my RR. Especially when accelerating uphill on the freeway/highway. I notice a high rev before I get any pickup in speed. To top things off my warranty just ran out and I decided not to purchase the extended warranty.
Are you sure it's not the variable torque converter lock up?
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Don't know which RR you have, year/engine etc. You should fill out your sig...
Sig sorted as requested.....
cheers Mike
 

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
If you just need a UCM/T4 plug in, give me a call. That may give you some sort of pointer towards the fault.
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally....after numerous calls and several days of being promised the car would be looked at, Stratstones finally had a look at it this morning, nearly a week after they got it. :evil:



They tell me they've found that the oil cooler and associated pipework are "corroded and leaking" resulting in loss of oil. They have no idea if there has been resultant damage to the gearbox. Prognosis is to change the cooler/pipework, refill with oil, and charge me £500+. They then fire it up and see if it drives. If it doesn't then a new gearbox will be required adding a further £4500+ to the bill. Oh b****r !



Particualarly disappinting if they are right. I had well over £1k worth of work done by Matfords in June which included "replace gearbox oil cooler". Seems unlikely that it should have suffered such serious deterioration in 4 months! Me thinks there's more phone calls to be made!
:naughty:
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich998a said:
If you just need a UCM/T4 plug in, give me a call. That may give you some sort of pointer towards the fault.
Many thanks for the offer Rich - we'll see! My latest thought is to borrow any sort of LR from Matfords, go and pick up my trailer that's now stuck in the midlands and use it to bring back the Rangey, and for them to sort out the mess. I'm sure the dealers together will think of some reason why that's not possible tho!
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Useful info, many thanks. Lancashire is a long way away....but £2500 saving buys quite a bit of transport!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
MPx said:
Useful info, many thanks. Lancashire is a long way away....but £2500 saving buys quite a bit of transport!
Drop it off and get on the train home. Even hiring a car for 4 days would only be about £150 !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
For those needing a new ZF 6-Speed automatic Gearbox & Torque Converter its worth noting that Land Rover UK http://www.landrover.co.uk/reman/en/Remanufacturing/Find_Part/Part_Search.htm sell them in the Remanufactured Parts section at just £1495.00

Gearbox - ZF 6 Speed automatic
Includes converter. Available for vehicles using 4.4 AJ-V8 Petrol engine. (Same price for standard V8 & £1795 for AJV8 S/C)
Part No: TGD500560E
Price: £1495.00
Exchange Refund:



Luckily I do not need one but its a good price from Land Rover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Gazellio said:
HI,

K Motors http://www.kmotors.co.uk/index.php/range-rover-l322 offer a Replacement ZF gearbox service including new torque converter and new cooling Rad/Pipes for £1995 fitted including VAT and Lifetime Transmission Fluid. (Bargain) :D
Even better price from these guys:http://www.automatic-gearbox.co.uk/gearbox/jtautomatics-91923628392DB246312CCA221F1EB42

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER V8 4.2/4.4 (2005-2007) ZF6HP26 4X4 Automatic Gearbox

2 Year 24,000 Mile Warranty (subject to terms)
Overseas to UK Import/Export Service Available
Gearbox £995.00
Torque Converter £190.00
Labour £310.00
Fluids £50.00
------------
Subtotal £1,545.00
VAT at 15% £231.75
------------
Total Price £1,776.75
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got to pick up the Rangie today (just the three weeks after it was recovered to Stratstones Solihull) so I thought I'd post up the outcome.

I was told the car would be ready by the evening when I rang for an update on Tuesday afternoon, but today (Friday) was my first chance to do the trip up to Solihull from Somerset to collect. I took our old Jimny up so that I could pick up the trailer I'd been towing when the Rangie broke. Then drove it to Stratstone swapped the Jimny onto the trailer and did over 300 miles towing it back - it all worked fine - Phew! Smile back on chops...

So sequence of diagnosis has been:
Call from Stratstones after they'd had it for a week to say Oil Cooler and Pipes badly corroded and leaking needs replacing for £500+. Didnt know about gearbox condition but would be extra £4500ish if needed.
I called Matford Exeter to confirm that they had replaced the oil cooler in June and how come Stratstones are saying its now duff.
Matford call Stratstones and they agree to send paperwork to support warranty claim.
Matford call me to get my agreement - but I'm not happy(!), I've got a real trust issue. I ask Matford for a tow car so that I can recover the Rangie to them and avoid games with Stratstone. Looks on for a while, but in the end I find it impossible to get insurance cover on any temporary loan vehicle to tow my trailer. Eventually give up and agree to let Strastones do the Cooler under warranty.
I call Stratstone to give them the go ahead.
I call Stratstone for update and get told car will be ready quickly cos only one pipe needed changing and there was no issue with the cooler or gearbox.

Bill lists one pipe (UBP000180) for £37 and six units of oil (STC4863) for £97.44 - total bill £336.02!!

Of course one could interpret this as lucky old me only needing only the least possible repair in the circs. Or one could say that Stratstones got caught out hyping an issue but had to back down when it became a warranty claim cos it would be a bit tricky to substantiate when they had to return the new bits. Whatever, their overall treatment of me (unexpected delays, zero communication, diagnostics, credibility and costs) were all sufficiently dire that I will never return there even if I break down outside their gate.
Shame!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top