RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 RR 4.6HSE with 200,000 miles on it. Every day I'm loosing about 1/4 inch of coolant in the expansion tank through the overflow tube. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mac

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
None that haven't already been given. If you are starting the day at the cold mark and loosing coolant then you are likely dealing with a pressure issue. If you are starting the day above the cold mark you may just be overfilling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None that haven't already been given. If you are starting the day at the cold mark and loosing coolant then you are likely dealing with a pressure issue. If you are starting the day above the cold mark you may just be overfilling.
I'm starting the day at the cold mark -- can you please elaberate on the "pressure issue"?

Thanks much,
Mac

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If you do not top it off does the level continue to drop or does it stay steady. If it continues to drop I would suspect a head gasket issue pressurizing the system or a failed coolant tank cap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info -- I replaced the cap last week and the coolant continues to seep out the overflow tube. Could it be a blocked radiator?

·
Registered
110 Posts
blocked radiator would cause overheating, and other issues as it would restrict flow through the engine.

blown head gasket is likely the cause.

it does not have to be a large failure, a small one will do it.

any vehicle with aluminum heads is always suspect to head gasket issues especially if ti was run hot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for getting back to me everyone -- doesn't sound good does it?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Doesn;t sound bad either. A head gasket job is an easy weekend project. Read up on the hundred plus thread on head gaskets so you have an idea how to proceed with testing/trouble shooting and go from there. No biggie.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Also, make sure you use a genuine Land Rover coolant tank cap. I had some aftermarket one from autozone and it wouldn't hold pressure. Coolant would boil out as soon as it got hot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem, no overheating problems and no leaks anywhere, engine running fine, it was the heater core which I replaced and that has:thumb: sorted it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I don't smell coolant in the cab, but the the temperature inside the truck seems too warm -- even when I have the HEVAC set at 64 degrees heat is blasting out of the vents.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Climate control will have nothing to do with your coolant loss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts