RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
Better not require a hardware retrofit, otherwise my dealer will have completely misled me (although what could I even do about it).

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
Better not require a hardware retrofit, otherwise my dealer will have completely misled me (although what could I even do about it).
I'm not sure even the dealers know what is going on in regards to this.

If I was a betting man, I would suspect that the new infotainment systems in 2018+ are ready to rock with CarPlay. My guess, it's just an update and a fee - like BMW's systems where it's either purchased at POS for $xxx or after POS OR even some sort of subscription service. I have 0 insider info, just my best guess. I think it would be a huge misstep for a manufacturer to not include this capability when rolling out a brand new system.

Just my $0.01!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was proposed to add it to my config as my order was shifted from the 18 to MY 19 some months ago. (Belgium)

Android auto was not an option at that time the dealer told me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure even the dealers know what is going on in regards to this.

If I was a betting man, I would suspect that the new infotainment systems in 2018+ are ready to rock with CarPlay. My guess, it's just an update and a fee - like BMW's systems where it's either purchased at POS for $xxx or after POS OR even some sort of subscription service. I have 0 insider info, just my best guess. I think it would be a huge misstep for a manufacturer to not include this capability when rolling out a brand new system.

Just my $0.01!
Yea, my sales guy was in training a month back and he said one of the topics they covered specifically was CarPlay support and that it was coming soon. I've been hoping it was just waiting for iOS 12 to be released (third party maps, such as Google Maps, are now supported). Not that it should matter too much, I think the API changes in iOS 12 were mostly for actual app developers and not system integrations. Either way...really hoping for this...navigation and Spotify would be amazing. The fake Spotify support is useless since it requires leaving the screen open and unlocked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a RRsport arriving in a month or so. Does this mean I will be able to upgrade the software on it for Apple CarPlay, or does it only apply to 2019 MY vehicles? Also, does anyone know if a cordless recharger is coming? There is one in the land cruiser. They had told me I dont have to get this exact car. Would it be silly to wait for the MY2019 to get these options?

·
Registered
204 Posts
my dealer just told me Jaguar/LR are punting on all software and will outsource it

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a RRsport arriving in a month or so. Does this mean I will be able to upgrade the software on it for Apple CarPlay, or does it only apply to 2019 MY vehicles? Also, does anyone know if a cordless recharger is coming? There is one in the land cruiser. They had told me I dont have to get this exact car. Would it be silly to wait for the MY2019 to get these options?
If you car will be delivered within a month you will have a MY2019 - these are beeing build since July. My dealer told me the option of Car Play is one you need to pay for. But if I read the Discovery forum it seems these guys get it for free with a software update...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doesn't seem like there will ever be a definitive answer, but definitely interesting that a range of models across JLR are starting to get the feature via free software updates. The functionality is clearly there on all models even dating back a model year or two, so it's just a matter of how the company wants to give access.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"Yes we are waiting to hear when it will happen, I heard it's a retro fit back to the 2017's. I will keep you posted."

Clearest answer from my dealer so far.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Would it be silly to wait for the MY2019 to get these options?
Yes, just because Toyota or BMW have something does not guarantee we will get it or in what form. As noted above, if your Sport is arriving in a month or so, it will most likely be called 2019. Something else to consider is if you car was built too early in the mix to be a 2019. Either way this close to delivery your dealer should be able to provide a VIN, shipment date and appx delivery date for PDI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: CarPlay seems official!

Finally! My dealer told me the other day that it was coming soon, so great to see something more official confirming that.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts

Appears to be true - all the reports quote this source, which quotes a source from JLR. I contacted my local dealer (service department) and they didn't know anything about it yet. Hopefully current owners don't have to pay for it....

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/26/jaguar-land-rover-carplay-united-states/

Also there are confirmed installs on ICTP head units in the UK - Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles:

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post16223.html#16223

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Picking up my 2019 tomorrow, fingers crossed.

-ThinkMac-

1 - 20 of 137 Posts