RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade from my 1993 Classic. I did a little research on the P38As. I would be using the the truck to do a fair amount of towing with a single car trailer w/brakes. So the 4.6 seems like it would be the best option. Is the Bosch injection system that much better starting in 1999? I am looking for something clean, no rust. Not sure if anyone in the New England area has anything for sale, please let me know. My classic was originally from down south so it is pretty clean compared to anything else around here.

Any info on which years would be better please let me know. High miles does not scare me as long as the truck was cared for.

·
Registered
401 Posts
2000 or better... but I'm sure lots of gems owners will disagree. :lol: bring on the great debate!
- Eric

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
There's no real debate. Each engine system has it's postives and negatives. The main reason folks go for the "Bosch" engined cars is because they have updated wheels, lights and toys. Some say the Bosch is more dependable, some say the GEMS is easier to work on. FOr many items the GEMS parts are cheaper. The main thing to look for would be a well maintained rig and not base your decision on the colour of the lights or shape of the intake.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be more interested in hearing the pros and cons of the mechanical not the aesthetics. Do all years use the same air suspension components?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think just the intake manifold is different but the 4.6 block is the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
rhino_ed said:
I think just the intake manifold is different but the 4.6 block is the same. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not wrong at all. For the most part the difference is air intake, management and a few odd ball things under the hood. SEARCH is a wonderful thing as well as this has been covered a few times. You can also visit the home page and go through the model years to see what was changed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yea, I seem to remember reading the website and the first model year hasn't had the bugs worked out.

G

·
0 Posts
I really don't think a P38 is your best option for towing another car. It might be considered a beast in other parts of the world but it's pretty wimpy compared to many of the other options you have available here in America.

·
Registered
517 Posts
reflex tuning said:
I would be more interested in hearing the pros and cons of the mechanical not the aesthetics. Do all years use the same air suspension components?
yes, but there are other differences

Bosch got 4 wheel traction control
Stronger 4 pin diff (rear only I think)
Different ABS unit (doesn't suffer from same potential failure as earlier ones although there is now a repair kit available)
Engine electronics are different eg MAF for GEMS about £350 (if you are lucky) Bosch about £150
Different o2 sensors - again usually cheaper on Bosch
Different torque converter on Bosch 4.6

But as said get the best one you can and have it checked over by someone who knows these trucks

·
Registered
60 Posts
[quote="AMcK"
Different ABS unit (doesn't suffer from same potential failure as earlier ones although there is now a repair kit available)
[/quote]

Which repair kit is it you mention, and who sells it?

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I know a Rover is no F350 super duty when it comes to towing. I believe it will satisfy my needs as far as towing goes. I tow mostly Volkswagens, and my classic handles them super. I like the Rover because it can be used as a daily driver/second vehicle as well and towing when need be. I am not a pickup truck kind of guy anyways :dance: .

·
Registered
867 Posts
What no one has mentioned yet, the Bosch Rovers have 3 less horsepower than the GEMS for the 4.6.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 98 GEMS and 99 GEMS models. (1998 4.0 SE, 4.6 HSE, 1999 4.0, 4.0 S). Apparently these are the least reliable years according to my mechanics, dealers and personal experiences.

99 was the first year of the Bosch btw. 2000 just got updated lights and electrochromatic sideview mirrors. 99+ is the best to go with IMHO.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think, and double check on this, the 2000+ had an upgraded front diff to handle the more power.

like you, I towed a 5500 pound boat with my 92 classic and 95 disco, not the best but i bought them for multipurpose use. I dont like pickup trucks, I need seats and weatherproof trunk.

Back to your p38s, I only owned mine for a few months and the gremlins are driving me crazy, but slowly being taken care of. If I could have found a 2 door yukon with diesel, i would have bought that instead but the rover lured me in with a great promise of no more sitting around bored with nothing to do. I love tinkering.

the 18 inch rim is a pain to get tires for around here

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It doesn't matter which one you go for. They'll both do the job you want it for.

Just find a good one and not a lemon. Ideally buy one from an enthusiast who has keep up with all the work needed and/or has done preventitive maintenance. Be that a '95 or '01 it isn't important.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Roverrad95 said:
What no one has mentioned yet, the Bosch Rovers have 3 less horsepower than the GEMS for 4.6
That's what I thought, but looking at RAVE it gives the following figures - seems UK lost some power, but NAS stayed the same.
[attachment=0:2zj7cjz3]RR 4.6.JPG[/attachment:2zj7cjz3]

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
my buying methodology was as follows and anyone, feel free to disagree.
having had multiple rovers i had to know the previous owner maintained it and that was chief concern. this is a gross generalization but lots of americans neglect their cars. (then they cry about the price of gas with underfilled tires, no tune up in the last five years, and an airbox with a family of birds living in it or accuse the brand of being unreliable when the neglect comes home to roost).
i was on the hunt for a 4.6 engine b/c i preferred the disco II's we had to the disco I's we had so i sorta knew what i was looking for there. again that's personal preference and needn't be determinative. there was nothing wrong with the 4.0 imo but i stop and go alot on the way to work and i like the little boost of the 4.6.
i sought the latest model year b/c, and again this is by no means law, i have it in my head the longer it's on the market the more time everyone has to raise issues to the mfr. not that that means it's addressed but you get my meaning.
color was my lowest priority and that's why i have white. but having said that i park outside alot, and in the summer you can't beat it. it also shows wear less and cleans up real well. red black or green would have been top choices but all of the preceding militated toward the one i bought and i'm thrilled with it. and i commute in it. alot. like 30k a year alot so being anal about maintenance was a good move b/c it's my daily driver and i need it in reliable shape.
after that it was just the little things i try and stay on top of.
of course there are the special editions which are very nice and may motivate you as well.
bottom line is if it's well-kept you have more time to address the other things. and eventually you'll need to address something. that's part of the fun. but it can mean the difference between addressing in the hundreds or in the thousands. i prefer the first option. :pray:

·
Registered
401 Posts
That is hard to disagree with. Being Canadian, I see a lot of "accident free" cars and neglected cars from the states. It's very true and the vehicles show it. Many of them end up in Vancouver because our cars for some reason hold a higher value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts