RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am interested in buying a 2010-2012 Range Rover full size supercharged. Somthing with about 75-100k miles on it. I drive from west Los Angeles to downtown la everyday. Am I going to fall into a money pit if I do this? Do these range rovers really have a lot of issues? What should I look out for when buying one? What are common issues? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
I bought a 2010RR with 54K miles in November, here are the issues I have had so far:

1-various small niggles like hatch/hood struts needing replacement, cubby lid didn't latch and needed struts - fixed by me.
2-leak in the right side rear cargo area - I put it down to myself installing a factory roof rack and not sealing the threads - fixed by me.
3-Whistle/hooting noise at 60-70mph - ordered LR TSB kit and fixed it myself - easy.
4-Airbag recall fixed at Pasadena dealer no charge.
5-New water pump, which could've been a disaster but I took the vehicle in as soon as I heard something different, fixed at the Pasadena dealer under extended warranty. Water pump is a known issue - so look out for this.

That's it. I do have some aggravating rattles but these have developed after I started driving <ahem> non-optimal dirt roads. I'll trace and fix.

The elephant in the room is the timing chain issue, so if you can get the service history - that would be golden. I bought an extended warranty.

I was looking for a while, either LR4, RRS, or RR. I previously owned an LR3 - best vehicle I ever had but the late model LR4s were more than I wanted to pay and had lost their low range. I use a tailgate a lot so the Sport wasn't going to cut it. Glad I got the RR very beautiful and very capable.

·
Registered
423 Posts
have put 80k miles on my 2011 SC since new and i cant think of any major issues - i can check my service files but off the top of my head i just remember normal wear and tear stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a 2010RR with 54K miles in November, here are the issues I have had so far:

1-various small niggles like hatch/hood struts needing replacement, cubby lid didn't latch and needed struts - fixed by me.
2-leak in the right side rear cargo area - I put it down to myself installing a factory roof rack and not sealing the threads - fixed by me.
3-Whistle/hooting noise at 60-70mph - ordered LR TSB kit and fixed it myself - easy.
5-New water pump, which could've been a disaster but I took the vehicle in as soon as I heard something different, fixed at the Pasadena dealer under extended warranty. Water pump is a known issue - so look out for this.

That's it. I do have some aggravating rattles but these have developed after I started driving <ahem> non-optimal dirt roads. I'll trace and fix.

The elephant in the room is the timing chain issue, so if you can get the service history - that would be golden. I bought an extended warranty.

I was looking for a while, either LR4, RRS, or RR. I previously owned an LR3 - best vehicle I ever had but the late model LR4s were more than I wanted to pay and had lost their low range. I use a tailgate a lot so the Sport wasn't going to cut it. Glad I got the RR very beautiful and very capable.

Thank you for the heads up! How do I now if the car has a timing belt issues or if it’s had it in the passed? How much does it cost around to repair/replace that?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do a search in the forum for the timing chain repair - it's not cheap. It's the main reason I'd look for one with service records, if it's one owner you might have more luck with finding out. Failing that get an extended warranty which is cheaper than the repair.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
It doesn't. The timing chains are not considered a wear item.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought an extended warranty.
Which warranty did you go with? I'm considering a 2010 just shy of 100k miles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought the vehicle from Carmax (vehicle was transported from Scottsdale AZ) and added their 125K warranty. The one claim I made for the water pump replacement has been honored, for some reason the dealer gave me a Disco Sport courtesy vehicle without batting an eyelid. That is a first for me; maybe it's a new dealer operational policy, but I've been a customer for over 10 years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've heard good things about the Carmax warranties. Altho it's offered through Carmax, it's a third party company providing the warranty, isn't it? Any chance you know the name?

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is the website: https://www.mrclaims.net/

The Pasadena Dealer works through them directly - if I was paying I would take my Rover to an independent mechanic, but not the Carmax Mechanics :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've put 40k miles on mine and the only thing I've done is change the front and rear brakes 2 times. Drive mine up and down the east coast with no issues. Definitely reliable.

I did just get a mailing from LR for the airbag recall that I need to schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies and help. I appricate it. What about the air suspension when does that usually need to be replaced? I thought that was the elephant in the closet!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Every car is different. If you really want to be ahead of the game, order the parts and have it ready to go when you do get a leak or failure. Order in advance and you have time to find the parts cheaper online. Water pump, alternator, etc. Relatively inexpensive to have on hand when you need it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Every car is different. If you really want to be ahead of the game, order the parts and have it ready to go when you do get a leak or failure. Order in advance and you have time to find the parts cheaper online. Water pump, alternator, etc. Relatively inexpensive to have on hand when you need it.
Hey there, where in MD are you located? I have a bunch of questions and found myself thinking...it would be easier if there was a local enthusiast I could ask :).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and help. I appricate it. What about the air suspension when does that usually need to be replaced? I thought that was the elephant in the closet!
I had an LR3 with a similar type of suspension and it never let me down (pun intended), and that vehicle was worked hard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey there, where in MD are you located? I have a bunch of questions and found myself thinking...it would be easier if there was a local enthusiast I could ask :).

I'm in Bel Air, you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
sowr, what's the kit ordered to fix this noise at 60-70mph?
Thought it was just my RR.
Thanks
CLJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts