RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 97 Range Rover tomorrow that is very nice looking but the one problem I already know about is that it overheats. I plan on taking it by the shop that works on my Jag but was wondering if there's anything I should look for right off hand that might be a big deal as far as repair cost go. I don't mind spending a little to get it working properly but I don't want to spend too much.

This is my first post, hopefully I'll get this Rover and it won't be my last.

Thank you,
Rob

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Overheating is an issue that causes permanent damage to the engine. The engine block is known to crack because of this and a new engine is required. Try to squeeze the rubber hoses at the top of the engine if these are rock hard there is most likely a leak caused by head gasket or cracked block.
If the hoses can be squeezed easily then the engine is most likely ok. The test must be done with the cap of the coolant reservior closed and sealing properly. Normally when opened after shutting down the engine there is slight pressure in the system.

If the engine is ok, overheating can be caused by: fan clutch failure, bad water pump, not enough coolant in the system or no proper burping of the system after refill of coolant.

If you decide to buy make sure there is a warranty so that in case of a cracked block you will get a replacement put in FOC.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
517 Posts
So you are considering buying a Range Rover with a known overheating problem and don't want to spend too much to sort :think:

Do you know how long it has been over heating? How far has it been driven whilst over heating?

These engines do not tolerate being driven when over heated - so you might be lucky and it is something relatively inexpensive and it hasn't been driven since overheating. But basically you are taking a gamble and could end up having to replace or rebuild either the heads or complete engine and you need to be willing to either spend money or your time fixing it (or more likely both).

Personally I would very quickly walk away and keep hunting unless it was very cheap and I fancied a project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts