RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2011 Sport SC. I put it on 285/50r20 Terra Grappler G2s and I am absolutely in love with it.

However, I simply can't deal with getting 12 mpg (literally, and thats driving gingerly) everywhere I go. Its not even a cost thing, its more just stopping every 2 days or 220 miles thats driving me insane.

Fortunately, there is a solution in the form of the '16+ with the lovely ford 3.0 diesel. I don't think I can handle parking and garaging a big boy, so I still think the Sport is the way to go.

I will definitely be taking my time and finding a vehicle with Terrain Response 2, and Extra Duty Package. I have been searching for information all over, but I cant seem to find, was there a way to get the active rear diff on a TD6 HSE? Did it come with extra duty package? It seemed like they were on option on the SC cars. What about on the 3.0 gas cars? It's not a no deal thing for me, I'd just obviously like to grab one with a locking rear diff if they were abvailable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang, really? No one knows is a TD6 can come with a locking rear? I have seen news articles from the 16 release that says both ways

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't speak to the availability on the TD6. I spent a lot of time looking for a RRS HSE 3.0SC w/ Terrain Response 2 and extra duty package - worth it. It does have the twin speed transfer case and locking center diff but no locking rear diff. I believe the 3.0SC HST versions with dynamic mode had the active (locking) rear diff.

IMO, the rear diff would be great but it seems to be one of the weak points - I see "a lot" of posts about failed active diffs. Not many regarding failed transfer cases, locking center or open rear. Also, I think the TR2 does a nice job mitigating slippage and given the fact that you cant manually engage any of our diffs prior to encountering an obstacle you would be relying on TR2 to detect slip and engage it anyway. I feel like the rear active diff is a nice to have feature with today's traction control setup and would be more of a must have if you could manually engage it. The locking center diff is a must have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't speak to the availability on the TD6. I spent a lot of time looking for a RRS HSE 3.0SC w/ Terrain Response 2 and extra duty package - worth it. It does have the twin speed transfer case and locking center diff but no locking rear diff. I believe the 3.0SC HST versions with dynamic mode had the active (locking) rear diff.

IMO, the rear diff would be great but it seems to be one of the weak points - I see "a lot" of posts about failed active diffs. Not many regarding failed transfer cases, locking center or open rear. Also, I think the TR2 does a nice job mitigating slippage and given the fact that you cant manually engage any of our diffs prior to encountering an obstacle you would be relying on TR2 to detect slip and engage it anyway. I feel like the rear active diff is a nice to have feature with today's traction control setup and would be more of a must have if you could manually engage it. The locking center diff is a must have.
Good to know! Yes, I agree, doesn't really seem to be necessary anyways. thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure about USA market, but for RRS in this part of the world you had to step up from the TDV6 to the SDV6 motor to be able to include the 'Terrain Response 2 with Dynamic Program' which included the active rear diff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts