Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still on air and won't quit air but i'm looking for photos of coiled P38s using some commercial kits such as Britpart, Atlantic British, Arnott...

·
Registered
170 Posts
My '98 had already been converted to coils when I bought it. I am not 100% sure, but I think it is the Atlantic British HD kit.

Not the best picture, but this is where I miss my EAS. In the back I am carrying two large tool boxes, 1 with tools, and the other with spares. I dont know how much the U-Haul weights, but there is a BMW F650GS in there, all the way to the front of the trailer. Even if this is the "HD" (which I think it is) you can still see how much it weighs the back down, which isnt really too much

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a project car I had. It has the Atlantic British coil conversion kit (the EAS box anyway) but it sits much lower than my '98. This also could be due to the fact that the springs are well broken in, with the car having 173K miles, althought I am unsure of how old the kit is.

It may be difficult to tell from the pictures, but when the two were side by side, the '98 clearly sat higher. This led me to beleive it had the HD kit and this was the standard kit (The springs were the same blue with white stripe running down them)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys.
Do you have any of the springs in situ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Old Rover

New Rover

Both are using OME 764's in front and 781's in rear. The black one is a little taller because of the thicker aluminum spring plate mount used in that kit. I prefer the white one, better manners with the same articulation.
Tires are bigger on the black too.

Currently (Switched back to old Disco springs, driveshaft, shocks. Needed to warranty transmission. Will swap OME's back in when done. This takes about 4 hours, with the DC front driveshaft being the biggest P.I.T.A due to the lack of wrenching room). It looks very sad.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
OME 751 Heavy-Duty springs in the front and 762 Heavy-Duty in the back, ProComp ES9000 shocks.

I used "driver's side" springs all around, it puts the back a little higher than the front, which is exactly what I was going for so that whem I'm loaded down full of gear in the back its level instead of sagging. I also made spring retainers out of 1/4" steer bar.

I have a bunch of pics of the process if you are curious. Nothing terribly exciting.

·
Registered
533 Posts
How do you like the HD springs? I was figuring they would be a little too stiff of a ride for me, as I don't tend to carry the kitchen sink along, so never tried them.
Nice powder coated wheels.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fiftywattplexi said:
OME 751 Heavy-Duty springs in the front and 762 Heavy-Duty in the back, ProComp ES9000 shocks.

I used "driver's side" springs all around, it puts the back a little higher than the front, which is exactly what I was going for so that whem I'm loaded down full of gear in the back its level instead of sagging. I also made spring retainers out of 1/4" steer bar.

I have a bunch of pics of the process if you are curious. Nothing terribly exciting.

Nice setup. I like the way your rangie looks with the back a little higher saying i'm ready to hold the weight :thumb:

If you have some pics showing the axles point of view, please share.

PS : powdercoated wheels? Looks sharp

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ikoinu, what shocks combo are you using?

Is it still the Bilstein 5150 ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
I was really surprised that the ride was so nice. After the initial break in period, the truck rides very much like a 70s American luxury sedan. Friends get in expecting the typical overly-stiff 'lifted 4x4' ride that everyone has on their c*ck trucks around here and are genuinely impressed. It's honestly like floating along, even off-road. After a trip coming down a really bumpy service road, a friend that was with me said it was like sliding down a hill on a velvet pillow. `)
Our friends that were with us in the other truck (a cool old diesel Dodge) all had to take some ibuprofen from their bones getting jarred. :lol:

I couldnt imagine going with anything softer than the HD springs, even unladen the truck rides super nice. The rear springs have a progressive rate which I think makes all the difference.

The wheels arent powder coated, I scored a set of standard RR 4.0 wheels for $120 ('downgraded' from the 18" Mondials so I could have more sidewall), hit them with degreaser, soap, water. Then a nice coat of etching primer, then a few coats of semi flat black rattle can paint. Looks real sharp and is really easy to touch up if they get scraped up while I'm out playing.

Below is a pic of the truck with the old Mondials on there and the stock 255/55/18 tires. Looks goofy after the lift, like a rollerskate. The size I am running now is 265/75/16, but ultimately I am going with 285/75/16 to have a 33" diameter. That's probably the upper limit as far as practicality goes, even now I would benefit from changing out to 4.10 gears in the diffs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sold the ones off my old truck to Shupack a year or two ago, guess he liked em' so much he decided to sell them at his store. They're really quite good.
I have factories on the white rover, they are just detached for the shots (they are almost to full extension as the 5150s would allow). The springs are the original ones I put on, then took them off the black 4.0 when I sold it, transferred them to my classic with full retainers and OME shocks, then transferred them to the white 4.6 that's new to me (classic shocks have different mounts, plus I wanted to go back to the 5150's).
So, getting some warranty work done and then have to pick up a new set of 5150's to put on, and lengthen my GBR dual cardon shaft from my classic. Putting some serious thought to the lengths this time around, before was 11.5" travel front and 10" rear, but I have to find a better way to locate my springs. If only I could fit the Expeditionware retainers I still have from the classic. Fiftywatt has the same spring seats as my black rover, gave me 4" of lift w/ springs and the aluminum base, current seats are on the axle and net 3" with the same springs.

Good to hear that it rides so well. I would go the HD route the second I went to a winch bumper and rear carrier setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.