RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 4.0 SE that the prior owner converted to coils. From what both my visual inspection and my buttocks tell me, he did not replace the shocks. A local Rover dealer performed the conversion, so I stopped in today to ask them which conversion kit they use. They said they used the standard Atlantic British kit. I don't know if the conversion changes the shock fitment for a P38, but I'm looking for shock suggestions for my rig. I just spent a load of dough replacing a brake booster, so I'd welcome some more reasonably-priced suggestions. I spend a fair amount of time in the backcountry, so I'd really like something that eats up forest service road potholes and ruts. My other thought is to live with the bumps for a few more months till I have the cash to put in HD springs and new shocks.

I've looked through some old posts, but didn't really find anything for shocks on standard coil conversions.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
have you taken the current shocks off to test if they're bad or not? Are they leaking?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bolt17.

What's mileage on your '99 rig ? Your coils could probably be OK & just need shocks with a pair of bags within the rear coils.

Depending on what condition your springs are in a few simple measurements and observations of the dampers is the first base, followed by referencing www.doetsch-shocks.com for length and fitment necessary on your coil spring converted P38 Rangie !

Their DT8000 Pre-runners retail for around US$50 each and I think "KMag" had them fitted to his P38 ride a while ago Bolt17.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got 80k miles on it and the shocks look to be the black OEM models. I emailed Doetsch last fall and they said they were working on a new shock specifically for the Range Rover that would be ready by Feb. or March. I've emailed them twice this spring and they haven't responded -- which is consistent with some of the other posts I've seen on here.

I see the other thread running right now that has a detailed discussion on shocks, so I'll join in on that one. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
Good luck getting anything form Doetsch 8~
Anyone that's gotten shocks from them for a Land Rover is lucky. I waived money at them and called them regularly trying to get product but they really weren't interested - even after I sent them measurements/specs. I'm still bummed about it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I have the TERA FERMA shocks on my Rangi and love them. Thanks Shupac! :dance:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Wot!?! got some for my 2" lifted P38 Shupac? I'm still waiting for my Oz supplier to get the +2's in... I'm getting tired of the harsh ride of the Bilsteins and the Tough Dog adjustables are too long on compression... I want to try the Terras before making a decision which way to go with the HRA lift kit..

Cheers, Paul.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
PaulP38A said:
Wot!?! got some for my 2" lifted P38 Shupac? I'm still waiting for my Oz supplier to get the +2's in... I'm getting tired of the harsh ride of the Bilsteins and the Tough Dog adjustables are too long on compression... I want to try the Terras before making a decision which way to go with the HRA lift kit..

Cheers, Paul.
in testing now, but should be good! I'm LOVING my set, I've got a 1" lift at HW, 1.5" at std, and 2" at offroad Hight

·
Registered
543 Posts
Paul.

I believe Old Man Emu with the new Nitrocharger Sport shock absorber is a suitable fitment on your "wild" Aussie Rangie P38A !

ARB Crop. has just copied the Pre-runner damper from 'DT' some 20 years prior and I think is available with a +2 inch product ?

Thanks for the feedback on your Tough Dogs as I'll probably source a set of adjustable Koni's for my uncles Tojo in the islands.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts