RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for the 6 roof caps/plugs that you remove when installing a roof rack. I removed mine and can't find the caps, stealer wants a ton of money.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thx!

·
Registered
53 Posts
sorry to jump on your post....but eager to see if anyone has this answer...about to remove mine from my 2006 to install the rack and cannot believe I really have to "remove" the tab's.....my p38 had a nice set up where the tabs slide back into the roof...have seen the post where others debated the need for this depending upon the year...and saw the factory install illustration.....hesitant to pull off for fear of wanting to re-install....some day....who know's the full story?? how much are they to replace and can you get them? thanks....wish you the best with your question and result....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to buy the entire molding piece in order to get the caps from the dealer. The cost was $192 list, primed grey :)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
I also removed my rack system and was left with 6 openings. Got the same info from the dealer as localbrew posted. the entire gutter rail molding will need to be replaced on each side. There were other posts regarding this same matter on this site.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So why would you need to replace the entire rain gutter, I understand you have to order the entire package to get the caps/plugs but why would you need to replace the entire molding piece?

Thx,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
localbrew said:
So why would you need to replace the entire rain gutter, I understand you have to order the entire package to get the caps/plugs but why would you need to replace the entire molding piece?

Thx,

Mike

there are no "caps" or "covers" available to insert in/over those openings, the dealer snaps off the hinged doors covering the openings at installation of the rail. Some people on the forum have stated that they thought on newer models (2006+ ??) the hinged openings folded in or out and were not snapped off.

A new molding strip is all one unit and will have the openings intact and not "punched" out, the three cover pieces per side are only removed to gain access to the mounting points. Once removed they are unable to be reattached to the molding strip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my 06' has the hinge also...opens up...but how do you get the factory integrated rpoo-rail system (part #CAB000040PMA) over the little doors that are now just hinged open.....guess I could just install the bars and not the rail system? or will the hinged doors fit back on at a later date it I decide to remove the rack?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone found a suitable cap/insert to put back in the hole rather than buying new moldings and having them painted?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just curious if any progress has been made here in the past 7 years. Has anybody come up with a solution for this other than ordering the whole new moldings. Seems excessive, and I can't believe the dealer snaps them off. I just looked at mine after removing the roof rack, and sure enough all 6 are snapped off!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Look online for 3M 1080 film wrap,
find the color of your truck and buy a sheet of film you wont need much,
a few sample sheets will work.
Get a roll of aluminum duct tape, cut 6 pieces off to cover the openings,
this will give you a base to add on the colored film.

Use a straight edge and fresh razor to cut 6 pieces that will cover the openings and overlap an inch or so on each end,
install then forget about it.

look at page 3

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...80.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHK1KdSV7fbqKkPEJ4SvVhvf8lXmA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts