Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

2012 Range Rover 5.0L N/A
About a year ago I needed to replace headgaskets, big job. Out of a couple shops I called, I decided to go with this one. While doing all that, they replaced more things like a timing chain, guiders, camshaft sprockets and etc. I got a full warranty for every part/labor that was used during the process.
A month or two later, after I got the car back, I started noticing weird “hesitations” at acceleration (cold engine) almost like a misfire but not really. And a check engine light would come on and stay for a little at times. Took the car back, was told it had something to do with a transmission, and a CEL was caused by a bad camshaft positioning sensor. Replaced that, did fresh oil, topped off transmission fluid, car felt good afterwards.

Some time after, CEL started coming back on. A little after, that issue with a transmission came back and got much worse. CEL would be ON at all times, car in limp mode. I decided to take it back to the shop. On the way there, the engine shut off while I was driving, I ended up towing it.

They were able to drain only 1 liter of oil. Timing skipped, engine is toast. First thing I asked was about my warranty and if this failure could had been caused by a recent engine repair. I was told no, that everything that was done before is unrelated to it. They ran diagnostics but that’s about it.

Some facts:
*Low oil light never came up.
*They were the only ones working on a car and did last oil change.
*There were no oil leaks, no smoke out of exhaust or anything unusual prior to that. Just don’t understand how so much oil could disappear without any visual evidence.

Now I’m here trying to understand if maybe a previous job could actually cause all of it.
I understand it’s impossible to tell without tearing down the engine, which will cost thousands of dollars, but I wanted to ask you guys first, if maybe some of you gurus could point me in a right direction.
Thank You

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
999 Posts
Hard to answer that. It could be completely unrelated or 100% related. One thing for sure is I wouldn’t go back there. I’d also talk to an attorney if, as I suspect, the amount paid is over whatever your state’s small claims court limit is. If you spent under the small claims amount I’d file a claim there. IMHO, it’s related. It’s not expensive to file and you may get all or most of your money back.

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
524 Posts
I'm assuming you were not there to witness nor did they provide any documentation that only one liter of oil drained out.
The shop is on the hook for any warranty covering the cost of poor parts/workmanship or if they carry insurance for the warranty they may still have a sizeable deductible. Low oil can be blamed on owner negligence therefore not covered by the warranty and the owner is on the hook.
Get the vehicle out of that shop and to a dealer who doesn't have an incentive to blame the failure on something that relieves them of liability. It's possible the OBD system recorded a low oil condition or lack thereof or other fault codes pointing to some other cause. It may also be possible OBD kept data or a record of when the last data was deleted. All important information to have prior to the lawsuit...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
485 Posts
Every MY2010-2012 L322 vehicle’s CJD retains all data logged fault codes, including the recorded mileage, date and time of the “event” since it was built.

Any JLR shop with SDD based diagnostics should be able to download the entire saved record of all events, including any which may be associated with your vehicle’s demise.

Assuming the vehicle’s electrical system can be powered up and the ignition turned on (no need for the vehicle to run) you should request a printout of such recorded on-board events then comb through them to ascertain what, if anything, may have led to the engine failure.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts