RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

well... it had to happen some day, and today it did! Car doesn't start any more. (The past weeks it ran very roughly in idle) and the problem seems to be the injectors. I'm looking for a DIY replacement, as the car is sitting on my drive way and there's no place to tow it away...

Has any one done this before? Or does any one know of an online how-to to do this? I know they are the same on BMW E46, E39, E38 and X5 3 liter diesel engines so if you guys know a how-to for these cars that's good too...

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry to hear that,

I had last year exactly the same issue,

it didn't want to start, and they had to tow it away, but beware you probably look at a minimum of 3 to 4 injectors to be replaced, which if I may add, is going to be costly :twisted:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just ordered 6 injectors, I don't feel anything for replacing 2 now, 2 next month and 2 in 2010 if you know what I mean.

Now I'm just looking for a proper how-to, because the job has to be done on the drive way...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been working on the car today, but with no result so far...

A friend of mine who's a mechanic came by and he's pretty sure the engine doesn't get any diesel. So I want to check the diesel pump. but I have no idea where it's located... Any ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had this problem in the Summer. In my case it was one injector. The initial symptoms were prolonged cranking to start.

Eventually it wouldn't start at all.

It came on during our summer vacation so the engine was getting a work out for some hours towing.

I also noted when trying to work out the problem that on this forum there is reference to two pumps which apparently the seals can go in. they can be replaced cheeply and indeed there was a link here to a place in Burslem (do a quick search) that did the repairs.

In my case it was one injector so I never went down the route of the pumps.

Would be interested in a link how to swap injectors mind as ours went around 600 miles from home. I wouldn't mind carrying a set to be on the safe side. It kind of screwed up our holiday. The Italian Garage diagnosed the fault quickly but couldn't get parts. The French Garage diagnosed quickly and got the parts quickly.. then charged alot less than the Italian garagae for the repair! All this took a number of days. A quick swap out would have had us back on the road. Thank god I took out Holiday breakdown cover for Europe!

Lee

·
Registered
103 Posts
Initially it was down to around 10 seconds cranking when hot.

Then it gave up all together. This was over a period of around 1000 miles as we were on holiday touring. Hence 2 garages!

I never got the paperwork as the assurance picked up the bill but both garages said it was an injector and the final garage charged around 200 euros for the injector and the rest labour. I should have been sent a bill for the parts but it hasn't arrived yet. :dance:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts