RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All: Never owned a rover. I bought a 2007 MB GL 450 three years ago and have sunk a lot of money into it...suspension all around, valve body replacement, etc. etc.

I don't mind doing as I obtained it very inexpensively....sunk about $6k into it...and now have an awesome reliable and updated vehicle for far less than I'd spend on a new one.

Now...looking to add a 2006 Range Rover Mark III.

I am seeing high mileage on Autotrader for 10 to 13k.

I now I will do the same...put about 6 to 10K into it...but again, It's worth it and I have the means. Still ahead of the game from an economic perspective in my opinion.

So, please, what are the issues....timing belts? electrical? suspension? What should I look for from the owner in terms of what "should" have been done etc. etc.

Please note, I am not very mechanically savvy so plain english would be great!

Thank you so much all...looking forward to learning from you.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
I am not sure what to expect out of a high mileage 2006 but I purchased mine 2 years ago with 55k miles and it's now at 87k miles. So far I replaced some transmission seals, thermostat, alternator, and the dryer on the air compressor. The truck has been far less maintenance and issues than I anticipated when I purchased it. I'm truly happy with my 06' Rover.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't buy a 2006. Go for 2008-09 4.2lt

Rovers are for me fully problems not reliable vehicle. But I love my Range Rover. Drive first, in 30 seconds you can understand it is your car or not.

4.2 engine is better than 5.0lt. It's my opinion. Supercharger unit is mega reliable.

If you want without any problem buy a Toyota Land Cruiser.

For example I have too much free time for repairing, reading workshop manuals and friend with Indy shop. Even I can't deal with some problems.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was in the same place you were two years ago.

To make a long story much shorter, based on the advice I received here and from talking to independent RR repair shops, I moved from an '06 to buying an '08 SC.

I just had my first major repair, having to replace on ride-height sensor and the compressor.

Other than that, I've just done regular, expected maintenance, including replacing all the drive-line fluids.

Coming up on two years of ownership, I'm still extremely pleased with the ride!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
27 Posts
Hi There
Have a 06 Range Rover Lovely car. Before you do anything check it at a mechanic i got screwed when i purchased my 74000 mile Supercharged Range Rover 2nd day i had it the car was just a mess it literally wouldn't move turns out the tranny was toast needed that done luckily i had warranty then 2 months later out went the radiator and the supercharger so basically i saying never get a Range Rover with out getting it checked and absolutely get warranty and by the way i did buy my rover at the dealer and some times there tricky never buy a car with out them getting the required work done when the work is done buy it never before. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts